Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

CCI .22 Long Rifle AR Tactical

crashoverrideplik

For me it would depend on performance and function. I dont mind spending if there is a measurable benefit. Even the most expensive RWS .22 ammo is inexpensive compared to the 308 Federal GMM I feed my other rifles  :-[

^i feel the same way

and according to their website (link i posted above) the TACTICAL version is a bit lower on feet/sec but has improvement in energy over the MINI MAGS, not quite sure if its enough to consider a difference, but on paper there is a difference

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

turners in south pasadena. but walmart in duarte is ur best bet. stingers are 5.47$ for 50 rounds and hollow points are 6.47$ for 100 rounds. if u want to try federal.. they have the 550 rounds for 18$. but thers a 6 per person limit.

with all this rapture talk, i had to stock up.. now, i think i have close to 1000. and i might come back tonite for the hollow points.

have u tried the federal 550?

the ones they sell at walmart? yea probably 1 box, had like less than 10 duds but i shot em out of my ruger 10/22 which really isnt picky on ammo from my experience so ymmv...but im sticking with CCI stuff from now one, cleaner and more reliable overall :beer:

The problem with the "tactical" is it's all about the "name" and nothing about performance, yet it certainly comes at a performance price.

The "standard" these days - even with bulk ammo, is 1250 fps/40 gr. bullet, or some slight variation thereof.  The CCI Tactical is listed at 1200 fps and comes in 40 round boxes...NOT what I call a better deal for my "tactical" weapons.

I've got garden variety bulk pack ammo - copper plated, higher rated speed, less money and it goes bang every time.

For the cost of CCI Tactical I'd rather buy Aguila Hypervelocity, or CCI Velocitors, OR (in the case of my ever-hungry Razorback belt fed), a lot MORE CCI Blazer which functions about as close to 100% as you can get.

Unfortunately when one is looking at filling 500 round belts that go downrange "with a quickness," even the cost variation between brands and styles of .22LR matters.

I agree with Kilibreaux. When you compare the specs, there is practically no difference between the different offerings from the same manufacturer. Where a person can get into trouble is the failure to fire percentage between the manufacturers. Most seem to have trouble with the bulk Remingtons.

I don't understand what the tactical bullets have that the others don't.

I'm interested in the new (yet to be released?) Winchester "M22". They are also advertised as "tactical 22" specific, and designed to cycle well in "high-capacity magazines". They are 40gr. plated round nose with 1255 fps muzzle velocity. They also say they'll only be sold in 1000 rnd. value packs. Winchesters always seem to work particularly well in my Colt.

basically, i broke in the rifle with 2 boxes of 375 rounds of CCI AR tactical. but if u want the best cycle... shoot the stingers.

an old man at the range told me.... after u break in ur rifle with CCI.. it shouldnt be that picky anymore. but ive tried the federal 550... they wer surprisingly good! NO fails! thats y im buying 2 more boxes... also tryin the CCI blazers.. got 2x 525 rounds @ 14$ each.

I had an opportunity to try some Blazers not too long ago, but they were too tight in the Colt's chamber, causing misfires. Had to pass on those, even if they were cheap!

Yo Mr. Wheel, what are you saying? The Blazer ammunition fit into the chamber and did not fire? Or the Blazer ammo did not fit into the chamber, and the gun was not in battery and didn't fire?

TM

I have found the chamber to be slightly UNDERSIZE compared to many other (particularly American made) .22 semi-autos. Have read that many European-made barrels are tighter than what we call "standard". The Walther/Colt's bore diameter is smaller too. Specs closer to "match-grade". The Blazers I tried, like the Velocitors would begin to "stick" in the chamber about 3/4's in. Sometimes cleaning the chamber after every 5 shots would help, but that was WAY too much trouble! If you mike the diameter of some CCI's bullets, you will see they are larger, or have a different "contour" than others. When the bullet doesn't seat fully in the chamber, the result is a "light-strike" causing misfire. Often when this happens, the un-modified extractor on the Colt will not even pull them out. The CCI's can work well in "sloppier" barrels, but not in my Colt. Measure the bore and chamber dia. on the Colt, and compare to Ruger and others, you'll see what I mean! I that's why a 10/22 will shoot most anything, even Remmington!

How exactly are you finding the chamber to be undersized? The only accurate method I know of is to make a chamber casting using Cerrosafe, and then measure the casting. I guess you could have a tight barrel, but that would be only a guess, and not my first choice. All guns sold in the USA pretty much adhere to SAAMI standards.

I have 15 different types/brands of .22 ammo, and it measures between .2225" and .2255" (measured at the bearing surface), with Remington Cyclone the largest diameter and Win Dynapoint the smallest. CCI was in the middle at .2230" and .2245"

Since SAAMI specs .22lr chamber diameters at .2267" for a match chamber, and .2307" for a sporting chamber, (+/- .002"), ammunition variations would not cause the issue you are seeing. It should all fit.

I would think that lead build up could be a concern, especially since you mentioned that cleaning the chamber will get it going again.

TM

I have found the chamber to be slightly UNDERSIZE compared to many other (particularly American made) .22 semi-autos. Have read that many European-made barrels are tighter than what we call "standard". The Walther/Colt's bore diameter is smaller too. Specs closer to "match-grade". The Blazers I tried, like the Velocitors would begin to "stick" in the chamber about 3/4's in. Sometimes cleaning the chamber after every 5 shots would help, but that was WAY too much trouble! If you mike the diameter of some CCI's bullets, you will see they are larger, or have a different "contour" than others. When the bullet doesn't seat fully in the chamber, the result is a "light-strike" causing misfire. Often when this happens, the un-modified extractor on the Colt will not even pull them out. The CCI's can work well in "sloppier" barrels, but not in my Colt. Measure the bore and chamber dia. on the Colt, and compare to Ruger and others, you'll see what I mean! I that's why a 10/22 will shoot most anything, even Remmington!

well, i will let all yall know how the CCI blazers go... i have 4 boxes of the 525 rounds. haha

I'll have to get back to you on specs. Took barrel to my local gunsmith to see why some bullets were having trouble chambering. I had just bought a box of CCI Subsonics, and a box of CCI Velocitors. Both had trouble chambering all the way after a few shots. I was shown the measurements of the CCI bullet CONTOUR, demonstrating that it had a slightly LONGER contact area than other bullets. He showed the chamber had a slight taper to it, and had several .22 "pilots" for chamber finishing tools that would not enter the bore due to it's undersize diameter. He told me, that for accuracy purposes, all this was a "good" thing, but not necessarily so good for semi-auto cycling of some bullets. In front of me, he inserted these same pilots into a Ruger 10/22 barrel, and a couple other "American-made" barrels, and they slid into the bores and chambers easily. So did the CCI bullets! He even pushed some sort of lead "blank?" thru my barrel and measured the "lands & grooves?", and showed me a smaller diameter than the other barrels. He said this barrel would be "great" in a bolt-action gun where the rounds are "shoved" into the chamber, guaranteeing a tight fit. Sorry I can't be more specific, all I remember is a "go, no-go" situation. He offered to get a special chamber reamer to loosen things up a bit, but I opted NOT to, I would just stick with ammo that worked. I figure TIGHT is better than LOOSE any day!

I was shown the measurements of the CCI bullet CONTOUR, demonstrating that it had a slightly LONGER contact area than other bullets.

Mr. Wheel,

It is difficult to pin down the problem, since you can't provide any actual measurements. "A slightly longer contact area" is pretty non-specific....So let's start here.

Page 11, Colt M4 Manual.

"ATTENTION

.22 L.R. caliber cartridges have a wide range of loads, from very weak for sport shooting and maximum precision to very powerful for a high projectile velocity. To ensure reliable operation, a semi-automatic firearm must be matched to a certain cartridge load. For this reason the cal. .22 L.R. Colt M16 / M4 has been designed for high-quality standard ammunition and HV (High Velocity) ammunition, and one can be sure of trouble-free operation only with these types. Please note that these rifles are not designed for the use of cal. .22 extra long ammunition."

FYI, CCI Velocitors have a muzzle velocity of 1435 fps, which places it well into the hyper velocity category of ammunition - see above warning in the manual. Standard or high velocity is what the Colt was designed for. Same for the subsonics - they are well below standard velocity and the Colt is not designed to eat that flavor of ammo either.

I'll be the first to admit I am a funny guy. (Not funny ha ha) I have actually read the owner's manual of all my firearms cover to cover. So if the manual of my new $600 rifle specifies ammunition within certain parameters, then that is the ammunition I will feed it.  ;D

TM