Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Removal of Front Sight

It leaves butt ugly holes. But that is not the barrel, it is just a shroud that the actual barrel fits inside of. I mixed up some agraglass and filled the holes, sanded to match the barrel's barrel shroud's contour and dura coated it. If you are not familiar with it, agraglass can be had from Brownells, and is an epoxy type material that won't dry  up, crack or fallout.

Good luck!

TM

PS - Post some pics when you get-er done!

Umarex makes a fold-down sight that pins the same way. I think the best solution is to get the $20 clamp-on gas-block/quad-rail and the rail-mounted sight (also about $20, I think). This arrangement covers the ugly holes, and gives you the option to use a multitude of sights, bipods, lasers, etc. Most come on and off with just a thumbscrew. Also, it has a place for the original sling swivel. I believe acompany called UTG makes this stuff.

This http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-1-4x24-CMR-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P45852.aspx is what I have on my Colt and my AR. I am VERY pleased with them. Zoom is 1 to 4, it has a green illuminated-dot-in-a-doughnut. (click on the small reticle picture to enlarge) The illumination is not very useful on a bright day, but the scope is entirely functional even if the battery goes dead. They cost $250 ea when I got mine. The ranging reticle is obviously for 5.56 and not .22lr... on the Colt I have mine sighted in @ 50 yds, and depending on the ammo I am using, dial the top turret to 6 and it is right on at 100 yds.

TM

PS-Nice looking rifle!

I've not used one, but one of the guys I shoot Tactical Rimfire matches with uses one on his 10/22 and he does very well.

I thought about getting one for my Browning Buckmark, but decided I didn't want to go down the optic road with any of my pistols.