Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

HK G3 .22lr conversion kit

• 8 months later...

I've always thought this to be an interesting solution.  But for $500!  ACK!  By my calculations, I could shoot over 1500 rounds of 308 for the same cost of shooting the 22.

I'd like one because it's unique and nobody else is going to be shooting .22 out of their HK's.  Just don't look at it for a cost savings.

Oz

I subtracted the cost of the .22 ammo, cause that's only fair. I've been buying the Paki Berdan primed stuff for $90/250 rounds. 

I'm not a fan of reloading the fluted cases, so I don't pick up HK used brass and that Paki ammo has performed flawlessly in my HK.

Anyway;  1500 rounds = 6 cans x $90 = $540.  Subtract $48 for  1500 rounds of .22 ammo.  That's just a bit less than $500 I guess.  But add shipping to the conversion kit.  It's about 1500 rounds to break even.

Oz

Sorry... I didn't answer your question directly.  Copes had the Paki ammo.  I think they were asking $100 per can of 250 and that included shipping.  The gun shop next door has it for $100 ($110 if you ask nicely, $100 if you wheel and deal).  I found a guy selling it on a local classified for $90/can.  I talked him down to $85 per can of 250 because I bought a case of it.  But not everyone's as good of a negotiator as I am  :grin:

So maybe it's more like 1200 rounds to break even for the non-negotiator?  :confused:

Oz

The Paki ammo is not corrosive.  But it is berdan primed, so reloading isn't super interesting.  But reloading fluted brass isn't interesting to me either --so the Paki ammo is perfect for HK's; leaving it on the ground.

I have a PTR-915.  I was thinking longer term about the .22 conversion kit however, since I have G3 and Cetme parts kits and will be bending flats next week.

Back in March of 2011, Century Arms was selling this ammo for ~25¢/round with free shipping over $500.  Sold out now of course.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=84136.0

Oz