Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Can I play??? (Kel Tec PLR22)

Tal

Tal your killing me  :laugh:

Whose killing who??? :laugh:

BTW..Just ordered the forend and the extra mag as well. Probably wont be here until Wednesday due to the holiday..

Now...

It's close to tactical 22. Am I at least a probationary member now.. :laugh:

Okay...I may have to order the PLR Compact Forend from Kel-Tek..

http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/plr-compact-forend/

Any of you guys have any ideas about speed loaders for these AR to 22lr mags...

I can see already the fun factor kicking in, and 1000's of rounds going through this thing. If a speed loader is available, would probably save my thumbs. Ideas??

BTW MicroGunner...That 556 version definitely rocks...Cool gun!!! 8)

Those are pretty cool. 8)

I like the Gatling Gun concept, especially the non nfa stuff.

Mine will be here Wednesday due to the holiday. Got 2 extra clips.

Still...After searching around I haven't found a 22LR quick loader for 22lr mags based on an AR Mag.

As Microgunner pointed out it's the same gun as the PLR16 (223), except the PLR22 is 22lr. And that goes all the way to the mags. So you've got the AR style mag, but for 22. Anybody Know of quick loader for that contraption???(I figured Bushnell with their 223 to 22 LR conversion might have something , but struck out there)...I guess everyone's handloading these mags???

Well.......

PLR22 is here..The holdup is the extra mag I ordered. It will be here Friday, so I will go over to Gary's and pick both up at that time. In the mean time my fore end and strap have arrived from Kel Tec...

Note to self..

When ordering through Gun Genie, just get the firearm. Even though myself and the Gun Genie dealer tried to get the mag and the PLR22 thrown in the same shipment, they shipped the PLR overnight, and the Mag via ground. And basically after the tax and shipping I saved $2.00 on the mag. Dealing with Gun Genie dealer Gary Garza on this, and he's been extremely helpful. Thought I'd pass it along to the Houston contingent, for consideration of future purchases..

http://garzafirearms.com/default.aspx

So...Saturday I should be at the range with my 2, 27 round mags, strap, fore end installed and be in plinker heaven...(Damn you Drew...I did look into the drum mag's for this thing, but the most capacity I found was 50...I was hoping for 500.. :grin:)

Pistol is in my possesion with extra Mag :beer:

I am waiting for the forend and the strap coming in ground from Kel Tec. But I couldn't stand it...

Took it back to the house, disassembled it, cleaned and lubed, And have both magazines loaded to capacity. Right as I was about to go to the range and try this puppy out....

The wife reminds me about the hardwood floor we're supposed to look at. What could I say?

"Okay, Let's go.." (Do women do this crap on purpose? ;D)

Anyway, taking it out tomorow after the game, and I'll let you guys know how it shoots.. I'll post some pics after I get the rest of the stuff from Kel-Tec and get it installed...

BTW...This is no easy to disassembe Glock thing...Think more like disassembling you NEOS the 1st time..

The NFL won today...Go Texans... So will try it probaly tuesday...

Attached a pic of the PLR as it stands right now.

I'm really looking forward to installing the Fore End.....

Accesories??? For End has 4 rails, Plus one on top of the pistol. I'm thinking laser (short shots) Red Dot..(Longer shot), and a flashlight.. What do you guys think. What would you add or delete, and the types of configuration. Red Dot on top, Laser on side?...Etc..

post-751-144124374623_thumb.jpg

I couldn't wait for the forend, and strap so I took the PLR22 out to the range tonight and blew around 300 rounds through it......

Initial thoughts...

Those Black Dog mags are a genuine SOB to load...Am definitely looking into the drum mag now..

Shoots great with the long barrel. Very accurate. It does take awhile to get used to the AR type sight in the front, and the pistol type sight in the back, but after a few rounds you get the hang of it...

Why Kel Tec sells this pistol without a forend is beyond me. With as unbalanced as it is a traditional pistol grip is useless. And the barrell just gets too hot to hold onto. I guess they don't sell with a forend to make you pay $47.50 from them. Mine should be here Thursday along with my strap.

Kind of disturbing.....

Yeah...I had enough ammo to fill 2 last clips, and although I had rapid shot for groupings, and really took my time to get used to the sights, I decided on the last 2 clips to see how rapidly the pistol would fire. Shot the 1st clip as fast as I could pull the trigger. Slammed the 2nd clip home and repeated. Got around 3 rounds off and the bullet failed to feed. Disengaged the mag. Cleared the bolt, Checked the breech and no round. Re-engaged the mag. Fired one round and a stove pipe happened on the feed. Freed 3 consecutive stove pipes, and at all times mag chamber was clear, and no bullet in the breech or the rest of the barrell. I decided to field strip the pistol and see what in the hell had happened to this pistol..

And Then I FOUND the PROBLEM... A chewed up live round was back behind the block!!!! Sometime during this Stove piping, failure to feed stuff a live round had managed to go up over the block and behind it. I found this a little disconcerting. After I got home I took the pistol apart and closely examined it....Yes there is AMPLE room for a round to fit between the top of the block and the frame..(Probably about a round and a half width.) Once the round gets behind the block the block is free to beat the devil out of it, on every recoil.

I know what Kel tek is going to say already, about rapid firing, ammo, etc.. But hell..That's why I bought the gun to shoot cheap 22lr at a fast pace, if I'm so inclined. Otherwise I'd have bought a Ruger or a Smith...

I think a lot of this round behind the block stuff is that this PLR22 is in reality a PLR16 (223) set up to shoot 22 lr. I guarantee a 223 live round, on any kind of failure, wont climb over the block and behind it. From what I understand the frames between both pistols are identical.  And the killer is if you don't know this you'll pull the mag, check the breach, and will not see any problems..I changed mags, ammo etc.. before I decided to disassemble it.

I am going to contact Gun Gallery, and Kel Tec tomorrow and describe this issue. I'll let you guys know more on this thread, as I find answers..

All in all, a real fun gun, but that live round behind the bolt bothers me. If you guys have any thoughts, or ideas, it would be welcome..

I got a response back from Kel Tec.

Hi Rolland,

We really appreciate hearing from our customers. Please let us know of anything we can do to make our firearms and company better. J

Thanks,

Customer Service Team

Kel-Tec CNC

Attn: Service

P.O. Box 236009

Cocoa FL, 32923

321-631-0068

Mon-Fri 8-3p EST

www.keltecweapons.com or Find us on Facebook under “KelTecWeaponsâ€

Here's what I sent them..

Hi Guys,

I purchased a PLR22 from Gun Genie, and picked it up last Saturday. First trip to the range last night and what follows is  A Few observations after firing 500 rounds through it.

Those Black Dog mags are a genuine SOB to load...Am definitely looking into the drum mag now. In your accesories section I think you should offer a Drum mag for this or develop some sort of quick loader device for the standard 27 round mags.

Shoots great with the long barrel. Very accurate. It does take awhile to get used to the AR type sight in the front, and the pistol type sight in the back, but after a few rounds you get the hang of it...

No matter what the price break point is, this pistol  needs to be sold with a forend. Without it, you are given the choice of grabbing a hot barrell, or grabbing the mag. Traditional pistol grip really doesn't work because of the unbalanced nature of the pistol. My forend should be here tomorrow, but IMHO this pistol should be sold with a forend.

Kind of disturbing.....

Yeah...I had enough ammo to fill 2 last clips, and although I had rapid shot for groupings, and really took my time to get used to the sights, I decided on the last 2 clips to see how rapidly the pistol would fire. Shot the 1st clip as fast as I could pull the trigger. Slammed the 2nd clip home and repeated. Got around 3 rounds off and the bullet failed to feed. Disengaged the mag. Cleared the bolt, Checked the breech and no round. Re-engaged the mag. Fired one round and a stove pipe happened on the feed. Freed 3 consecutive stove pipes, and at all times mag chamber was clear, and no bullet in the breech or the rest of the barrell. I decided to field strip the pistol and see what in the hell had happened to this pistol..

And Then I FOUND the PROBLEM... A chewed up live round was back behind the block!!!! Sometime during this Stove piping, failure to feed stuff a live round had managed to go up over the block and behind it. I found this a little disconcerting. After I got home I took the pistol apart and closely examined it....Yes there is AMPLE room for a round to fit between the top of the block and the frame..(Probably about a round and a half width.) Once the round gets behind the block the block is free to beat the devil out of it, on every recoil. I know, I may get told by you guys to slow the fire rate down, but that's why I bought it. Not only for accurate firing, but the fun factor as well.

I think a lot of this round behind the block stuff is that this PLR22 is in reality a PLR16 (223) set up to shoot 22 lr. I guarantee a 223 live round, on any kind of failure, wont climb over the block and behind it. From what I understand the frames between both pistols are identical.  And the killer is if you don't know this you'll pull the mag, check the breach, and will not see any problems..I changed mags, ammo etc.. before I decided to disassemble it.

Those are my initial thoughts on the pistol. I don't mean to critisize, but just Critique.

The main thing is the block and frame  think. IMHO the 22lr block needs to be bigger or the frame needs to be tweaked a little smaller for the PLR22 model VS the PLR16. Disconcerting to clear the mag, check the breech and find no issues, and then field strip the pistol and find a live round behind the block. I don't think this should occur no matter what matter of failure, and seems like an easy fix on your part..

Thanks,

Rolland Harrison.

In my opinion still a fun gun to shoot, but in the future, on any failure, I'm pulling the pistol grip pin, and checking behind the block. Lesson learned..

Still...After searching around I haven't found a 22LR quick loader for 22lr mags based on an AR Mag.

As Microgunner pointed out it's the same gun as the PLR16 (223), except the PLR22 is 22lr. And that goes all the way to the mags. So you've got the AR style mag, but for 22. Anybody Know of quick loader for that contraption???(I figured Bushnell with their 223 to 22 LR conversion might have something , but struck out there)...I guess everyone's handloading these mags???

Checking around and it's right here in front of me. Didn't realize until I received the pistol that it used Black Dog mags. Found it at Brownells.

Clicked through this site to order it.

Youtube vid of the loader here. It it would have been a snake it would have bit me..

Hey that's cool. I have only seen that style previously for handguns.

BTW I edited your link cuz Google was getting credit..the bastards.

Thanks Drew. I've got 2 loaders just like that. One came with my 9mm. Storm, and the other one is a multi-caliber from 32 to 45. Tried both on the Black Dog mag last night and they're too wide to work. Looking forward to getting this from Brownells And my Thumbs are really looking forward to it... ;D

With Forend and single point sling installed.

First 2 are the pistol photgraphed from each side.

3rd pic is my index finger pointing at the bolt. Yes there is enough room on the top of the bolt and the frame for a live round or spent casing to go behind the block.

Something to remember on this pistol with failures....

Is this something that shows up with 223 to 22lr conversions???

Anyway...

Now I'm looking for possibly a combo red dot, laser, flashlight combo...Any suggestions???

Now....

post-751-14412437468_thumb.jpg

post-751-144124374687_thumb.jpg

post-751-144124374693_thumb.jpg

No that doesnt happen with the AR-15 .22lr conversions. They have their own set of issues  ;D Actually if you go the AR-15 route spend a little more for a CMMG dedicated upper like this and youll be pleased as punch.Youll have no problems and solid performance. I have one and recently brought Microgunner and another member over to the dark side with these. They are made specifically for .22lr with the correct rifling and tweaks for flawless performance.

No clue on the light and laser other than you get what you pay for.

Speaking of the 30 round 22lr mags for the kel tec, Look what I just found digging around the black dog site. WITH THE THUMB SLIDE!!!!! on the side of the mag...Probably be quicker than the quick loader I ordered...Just to make sure, I ordered one... >:D

http://blackdogmachinellc.net/3rd-generation---metal-feed-lip-magazine-for-ar15-22-conversions.aspx