Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Air Soft rail install on Colt M4

I have a Troy Battle rail on my AR, and decided I needed one on my Colt also. Unfortunately, the Troy AR rail doesn't fit on the Colt .22. Thanks to Tac22 member, vlhoang, I found out that the Colt is based on an air soft receiver. So I purchased one of THESE and it works just fine. Installation pics are in the attached PDF.

TM

5121_b042d53b265b0a89e4225f3fd45508c7568bcc32.pdf

I put a generic AR 15 C 4 quad rail on my (Walther) Colt C 4 Carbine.......It fit into the delta ring and clamped to the hand guard cap.......$53 for the real thing that will fit any 5.56 C 4 carbine that has a delta ring.......I don't know about all this "airsoft junk"

post-1303-144124386352_thumb.jpg

Looks good Dan! The AR free float rails unfortunately don't fit the M4 Ops variant. Hence the air-soft accessories that have the exact same threads as the Colt M4. (Which does not have a delta ring) The Troy (air soft) rail I have is the same grade aluminum as mil-spec. It is anodized to the same color and hardness as mil-spec. It is also licensed by Troy, but it fits air soft receivers, which is what all of the Walther/Umarex/Colts are based on.

• 4 weeks later...

LOOKS GOOD!!! as for airsoft junk, yes there is airsoft junk, and there's the quality airsoft stuff that cost more and is actually licensed by the real steel counterparts.  anything that is properly licensed is normally the top notched products in the airsoft world while you can find a ton of the cloned knock off junk that is not worth it unless you're shooting plastic bbs lol.

I generally won't recommend using airsoft parts on real guns, due to recoil, etc..  On a .22, it shouldn't be a big deal, but maybe, depending on the part and what you're using it for.

The Madbull products are made to a very high standard, far beyond what wear and tear airsoft players will do throw at it.  I recommend it!  The really cheap airsoft stuff is made of 'pot metal' in molds, then painted black.  Use these on a .308 rifle for example, and the recoil will shake it off fairly quickly.  Or explode.  Be warned!

If anyone has any questions about the products we sell,  www.airsoftatlanta.com  lemme know.  That's in regards to their compatibility with .22 guns, etc.

We have some great scopes, tactical gear, etc that is made for real firearms enthusiasts.  We have the largest 'tactical' store in the Atlanta area too, so come stop by if you're in Georgia.  We have all sorts of new stuff coming in this month that should be making waves in the gun world...  we're vastly expanding our non-airsoft selection.

We're also not just airsoft geeks, our entire staff collects real guns as well, and shoot at local ranges often.

@ airsoft atlanta.  yes the madbull ones are superb for fitment and quality. on these colt 22's and can handle the almost non existent heat.  i would not recommend using it for any higher caliber such as .223/5.56 or even a 9mm conversion but for the 22 with almost no recoil the rails and other parts fit perfect and are a fraction of some of the replacement parts from Umarex themselves.  i've tried the so called ACM rails for the umarex and 1.) the fitment sucked 2.) worst quality pot metal i've ever seen produced.  i would recommend buying the madbull licensed ones from either airsoft atlanta, airsoft gi, or even evike.  they all provide superb service and fast shipping and even coupon codes to make your purchase even cheaper.

• 1 year later...

Greetings, all! :)

Can anyone confirm that this would fit? Madbull Airsoft TROY Troy TRX Extreme BattleRail 7" in Black

I imagine it's just a shortened version of OP's rail, but I figured I would ask before ordering the part.

(I have a 3.5" quad rail on mine. Not exactly a fan plus I'd like to hide the barrel up until the fake suppressor.)

Welcome to Tac22! The 7" should fit fine. The Troy airsoft rail comes with a new barrel nut (mine did) which you will need to change out if you have the M4 version with the free float rail. Have to remove the front sight to do that. And you will need an armorer's wrench to tighten the new nut. If you have the M-16 version, it looks as if you won't have to change the nut.

TM

Greetings, all! :)

Can anyone confirm that this would fit? Madbull Airsoft TROY Troy TRX Extreme BattleRail 7" in Black

I imagine it's just a shortened version of OP's rail, but I figured I would ask before ordering the part.

(I have a 3.5" quad rail on mine. Not exactly a fan plus I'd like to hide the barrel up until the fake suppressor.)

So did you get your rail installed??

• 1 year later...

So TechMike i think did a very rookie mistake. I tried to get my barrel nut off of the M4 carbine. I locked my receiver into a vise and attempted to loosen counter clockwise. The thin piece of metal around the receiver pin at the front of the upper broke. Totally unrepairable. I do not think this was  negligence from my doing but not real sure. The barrel nut is really on there. I guess i am going to write umarex and see if they can help.

• 2 weeks later...