Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Can I play??? (Kel Tec PLR22)

Tal

Disassembled this pistol one more time tonight. I found the problem. There are 2 allen head screws that hold the bolt together. They were loose as hell. Being a newbie to semi-autos, I thought this was the way it was supposed to be on 1st disassembly. After checking around the web, found several posts about these allen's becoming loose and letting rounds, and spent cartridges wind up behind the bolt. One post I read, a guy had this happen, and the round broke the firing pin from beating on the round in the rear on the ejection cycle.

Put loc tite on the Allen bolts. Tightened up the bolt, and all I can say is this PLR22 is one sweet pistol. Bought a cheap red dot, dialed it in while at the range. Ran 500 rounds through it at the range tonight, and NO failures of any kind, and could pull the trigger as fast or as slow as I wanted.

BTW...The mag loader worked great, and is well worth the $10.00.

Well that was yesterday and yesterday's gone...

Off to the range tonight. Fired 1st 2 clips flawlessly...And then a Failure to Fire... And then I couldn't get past a clip without at least 2 falures to fire. And the more I shot it the more pissed off I got. Of course the Failures to Fire were followed by Failures to eject. The shell looked like a good strike but right on the rim.. A lot of fun digging out live, struck rounds with a pocket knife. Shooting Remington hollow points. What kills me is I took the same round, and fired off 300 rounds with my dependable, steady, straight shooting, never let me down NEOS, right after being frustrated by the PLR..

This KEL TEC PLR22 is  going to Davisson's once I make the call tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how that life time warranty works. I'm hoping either Kel Tec can fix this thing or give me a new one. I did hear from their gun smith today and he said the gun should never have been shipped with loose bolt screws....

• 1 month later...

I contacted my dealer from Davissons about this issue on Tuesday. I just felt like a sucker sending it back to Kel Tec and paying $70 shipping for firearm that NEVER worked correctly.  He forwarded my email to Davidson's and my new PLR22 will be here tomorrow, with a letter of apology from Davidson's Gallery of Guns. They're even throwing in free shipping....

You just can't beat that...

I have purchased, in my short time as a pistoleer, 3 firearms from Davidson's. Flawless transaction on all 3.

Nice to know they handle problems with the same efficiency as they handle transactions. 8)

I picked this pistol up Saturday. As I said Davidsons's honored their warranty and I didn't even have to pay shipping. Brand new pistol. Just dropped the old one off, and picked up the new one.  Great dealer, and if you live in Texas this is the Davidson's dealer I used Gary Garza.

http://garzafirearms.com/default.aspx

He worked with me as an intermediary between Kel Tec, and Davidsons. Hell of a great dealer, Great prices, and he truly cares about his customers.

Well I got this thing home yesterday, and with much trepidation disassembled it. Cleaned it, Lubed it, put the forened, single point sling and red dot on it. Once I disassembled it, I started looking for loose screws, rattles, etc. and this one looked like someone really took their time at KelTec and set it up properly.

Tonight I took it to the Range..After all the bad luck with the 1st one, I COULD NOT BELIEVE the difference.

WOW WHAT A GUN!!!!!!!!

I was feeding the cheap federals in the 550 round brick. I fed it the entire brick, without a single failure of any kind. No matter how fast I pulled the trigger the pistol operated flawlessly. I started out on a bench and dialed the red dot in and at 17 yards, I was getting around 1 inch patterns. Then I put the sling over my shoulder, stood up and just wailed through 500 rounds of ammo, in nice tight patterns without a failure.

Now I see what you tactical 22 guys are talking about. Some of the most fun I've had in my relatively short time of shooting seriously. Just a freakn' blast. The speed loader for the AR15/22LR mags has just spoiled the hell out of me. I'm loving it. Can't comment on the standard iron sites, site picture, cause I didn't use it. I'm in love with my cheap BSA Red Dot..

Highly reccomended!!!!!! 8)

• 3 weeks later...

Still absolutely zero problems..

Thought I'd give you the guys the final cost to get it the way I wanted it...

PLR22  $265 through Gun Genie...by the time I added Tax and Shipping right at $300 total

Forend..$50

Single Point Strap $10

Extra Mag $35

Carrying case..$30.00

BSA Red Dot..$35.00

Total  $460 for the entire rig... and a hell of a lot of smiles per round!!!!