Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

small metal part fell out while cleaning cant find where it goes!

st112

So i was cleaning my 522 yesterday and after i had it all cleaned and back together i noticed a maybe 3-4 inch thin metal wire/strip with a hook shape on one end and a little kink on the other. i asked my friend where he thought it goes and he couldnt figure out either. 

any ideas?

yup thats it, thanks a bunch!

also, i may have to make another thread for this.  but i have been getting alot of ftf's, at first id only get them when using my remington ammo. which was expected, but now with my mini mag's, and any other ammo i try, it will fire once, then not the second time, then ill eject it, and the next one will fire.  from what i can tell the hammer isnt striking, there is a very very slight mark on the outside rim of each failed shell. any ideas?

Assuming that your rifle is spotlessly clean, My thoughts as to the issue would be a weak guide rod spring.

It sounds to me as if the spring is not strong enough during the return from blowback to strip a round from the magazine and fully chamber it. If its weak, it might strip a round, partially load it into the chamber, and then when the trigger is pulled, the firing pin is unable to strike the rim against the chamber face.

You can check this. Fire your first round as normal, and after the bolt cycles, check the gap between the bolt face and the chamber. If the bolt face is not firmly up against the chamber face, this is likely the issue.

It could also be that the guide rod is bent which would restrict the bolt's return, or that the bolt needs a little lubrication to be able to slide in the reciever.

Basically, if its not fully chambered, the firing pin would be lightly flicking the rim, vs striking it firmly against the chamber.