Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

First Range Report and sights question

Yo,

Well I got my M16A2 version yesterday, and got out to the range today.  First thoughts: I really like it! I imagined the worst on the trigger pull but it felt really good, not unlike my Marlin 60. I ran about 300 rounds of Federal bulk pack and the had only 5 or 6 fail to fires. No failure to feeds or stove pipes of any sort.  BUT. There is one problem... It shoots WAY right. About 6 inches at 25 yards with sights centered. I put about as much left windage into it as it would go and I'm not too happy about that. I took it back to my dealer today and the gunsmith will be in on Tuesday. From what I'm seeing, the entire gas block and front sight are tilted ever so slightly to the left.  Could it just be the sleeve around the actual barrel? Or have any of you experienced this and found an easy remedy?

I can't wait to take it out to the range again.  I've got some tracers i want to try when (if) it moistens up a little and it was pretty reliable. I blame the misfires on the ammo, it didn't look as great as some boxes I've picked up, with some discoloration of the brass.

Happy shooting,

Ethan

Hi Ethan, Glad you could join us. If you look at your parts page in the manual, see part# 33, it is a set screw that holds the barrel shroud in place. I would loosen it, rotate the shroud until the front sight is in the correct position, and tighten it. BTW, the front sight is just a sight,no gas block on these guys. Let us know how it turns out.

TM

Download the manual http://tactical22.net/pdf/Colt-22-TacticalRimfire-Manual.pdf , look for page 25.

Hey Techmike,

Thank you for the speedy reply.  I got the old trusty level and it is clearly rotated a few degrees off center. I'm looking where Part #33 looks to be and I'm just seeing a ball detent for the forward mating pin for the receiver halves.  Do I need to remove the bolt assembly to get to the screw?

Also, i was just referring to the front sight as the gas block/sight combo as it is styled after the A2 original sight setup. :P

You are correct, #33 is not a set screw, my bad! I just got mine out of the safe & stripped it down. I have the M4 Ops, and it differs quite a bit from the drawing. I have two set screws on the bottom of the handguard, when the screws are loosened, the handguard can be removed by unthreading it from a BAN. (big ass nut) The drawing shows a delta ring and springs, but the M4 just has the BAN. When that is loosened, the barrel shroud can be rotated. Sorry again for the wrong info, I was going on memory and I should know better.  :o

TM

If you really want to fix your front sight, drive out the pins, remove the bottom set screw (it goes in a slot in the barrel anyway, not much room for adjustment), and remove the sight. THEN tap the pin-holes in the sight to the smallest thread size that fits the holes (did it, but forgot the thread tap I used). Then get 4 itty-bitty allen set screws to fit the holes. Slide the sight just a tad forward of the pin holes in the barrel, so the set screws don't enter the pin-holes. Then you can position the sight ANYWHERE YOU WANT IT! Just tighten the four screws a little at a time until snug. Believe me, it won't move until you loosen the screws and move it!