Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Question about Colt Tactical .22 (M4)

gdavis9999

I like to completely seperate the top and bottom receivers to field strip this gun. When I remove the *forward* receiver pin there is a spring-loaded ball press-fit in the hole where the pin goes that looks like it is supposed to rest on the dedent in the middle of the pin, to hold the pin in place. However, that ball on my gun remains recessed and never touches the pin (it moves little but does not come out far enough).

Can you please take a look at your Colt tactical .22 and let me know if it is the same? Just remove the flash suppressor, then the rear receiver pin, then take out this front pin and take a look in there. Does it stick out to hold the pin in place, or is it recessed?

I attached a picture to be sure we are talking about the same pin.

Thanks, Greg

post-726-144124373271_thumb.jpg

Hi Greg and welcome to Tac22. My Colt M4 does not have the ball detent that you are asking about. (It is 2 years old) With the flash hider tight, the forward pin is not going anywhere, so I am thinking it is a non issue. Also, unless you are completely disassembling your M4, I would suggest not removing the flash hider, just loosen 2 turns to take the tension off the pins - if you have the flash hider removed or too loose and bump the muzzle, the barrel will move in the slide housing and, the slide catch spring and pin will become dislodged. I know this to be true. ;D

Regards,

TM

Tim, thanks for the quick feedback.

To be sure, when the upper and lower are seperated, and if you put the pin into the upper, does it just fall out if you turn the gun on it's left side? So there is nothing in there except the channel for the pin?

Also, does the pin have a dedent in the center, like it is supposed to held in somehow? Rgds, Greg

Looking at the parts breakdown, part# 33, a "spring loaded thrust pad" appears to be the culprit. After I actually took mine apart, yep, there it is - part #33. Mine is working as expected, and holds the front pin in place. You might try a drop of light oil, and try to "exercise" the ball. Sometimes a ball detent will get stuck when dry. If that does not work, a call or email to Umarex would be in order. There are also 2ea part #33's in the trigger group.

Regards,

TM