Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

ISSC Mk22 Stock Fix

So my son and I have one of the ISSC Mk22 rifles. He absolutely loves it but after a few times out, the plastic stock that holds in the stock catch began to split. This is evidently a common occurance.

ISSC quickly sent us a new and improved (supposedly) stock but it did the same thing after even fewer trips out.

Here is my fix....

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

So far it works like a charm.  I milled this one out of aluminum but I bet bending something similar out of thin steel could do the same thing.

Hope this helps.

arguy,

How long ago did ISSC send you the replacement. They're claiming they have changed the mt'l and that it's much stronger now.

Keep an eye on the hinges, they were next to crack after I repaired my "D" button housing. Cheap airsoft plastic subjected to all that torque! What were the Austrian masterminds thinking?

post-1147-144124379758_thumb.jpg

post-1147-144124379792_thumb.jpg

The second stock came last year.  They were making that claim then as well.  It was probably back in August of 2011.

If I requested another, I would be on my third.  I'll stick with my aluminum fix.  It should have been some type of metal in the first place if you ask me.

I concur,

You would have the trick setup if you could TIG some hinges on the edge of your plate. People like me would even wanna buy sumpin' like that!

And thank you for the feedback on the stock, I've been trying to hook up with someone with firsthand knowledge of the "new, improved" stock. I guess I won't worry about wasting my time with it.

Belt sander took most of the silly "rail" off. File finished 'er up. The modifications to the stock involve fusing aluminum window screen into the plastic then building the area up with metal filled epoxy and shaping the part. Front sight is airsoft, required finishing the dovetail with a small piece of aluminum, rear is a real SCAR sight. "All" I have left to do is the side rails and the pistol grip.

What got me started was repairing the crumby OEM stock. It went well and the rest is history.

Did you look into fitting airsoft replacements for the stock or cheek pad as an alternative to modifying the oem stuff? 

I know on the GSG5 (similar to the mk22 in many ways) some of the airsoft stuff is excellent quality (i.e. CA rails and stocks).

Everything i find for cheek pads is OOS for the SCAR.

I considered that option. I could not be certain of the dimensions, ISSC apparently has an airsoft background, but the MK 22 parts are subtly different than the commonly available airsoft parts. An example is the stock plate, it has an oval pocket for the charger handle spring follower and the ears on the side are shorter, having only a single screw hole. Another example, the lower receiver, it was intentionally modified to make it less SCAR-like, so it does not dovetail into the stock plate like the real deal and direct clones do. I plan to use G&G side rails to get that detail right, but it will require some new holes poked and threaded into the upper. The ultimate plan is to also modify the lower receiver to accept a AR style grip, this will take some doing. Lucky thing I'm having fun!

Thanks for the how to's.  Please keep posting.

My mk22 is in the mail to my ffl and a dboys scar front sight is on the way from evike.

Judging from past experience with my m&p 15-22 and gsg-5, i will be doing a lot of cutting, filing, grinding, and modifying to get the mk22 set up exactly as i want.

The ultimate plan is to also modify the lower receiver to accept a AR style grip, this will take some doing.
Got the MK22 today.  Won't have a chance to shoot it until next week or so.

Glad to see how easily the side rails come off.  Those are a prime candidate for shortening.  The Gen II cheek piece bothers me less than I expected.  It actually gives a good cheek weld and puts my eye just where it needs to be in the raised position.  Keeping my eye out for a Gen III style in the airsoft stores.

Something definitely needs to be done about that awful part-of-the-lower pistol grip.  A Hogue overgrip will go on for starters.  It looks like a standard AR style grip is a real possibility with some cutting.

I think you'll need an AR lower to take measurements from. Then you can aim to duplicate the screw post and surface the grip attaches to. My plan involves cutting away what needs to go, then melting window screen into the base plastic. This will provide a rough edge and a "wireframe" to shape the lower to accept the grip. Build up would be done with JB Kwik or your favorite brand of metal filled epoxy. More than one ply of screen might be prudent. Remember, Legacy Sports ain't gonna take a bright view of your modifications. If you start, you're going to be on your own for repairs( warranty is toast).  I say "screw 'em".

• 3 months later...

Before you start cutting, please take into account the internal "box" that contains the trigger mechanism. This part is wider than the slot in an AR style grip by quite a margin and has been a show stopper for my plan to adapt an aftermarket AR grip. Not only would one have to chop the lower receiver shell, but this box would need modification too. Parts needing modification inside the box probably will add further complications.

Looks like a blue twill, 75 dollar, nickel plated PITA to me.