Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Any New Mexico members?

Dangermouse

ASmurff,

Thanks for raising your hand. You are one lucky guy, I hope you get to visit the range, it looks impressive from their web site.

I live on the doorstep of Bisley "The Home of Shooting" in the UK, and I know it is known throughout the world. But despite this claim, I am embarrassed at what the facilities have to offer and the general up keep when I see visitors from around the world there.

Some Q's

What would be the nearest International airport?

How would you recommend getting from there to the site - remembering there may be a few of us with all our kit. I guess that even if there was a closer local airport it may be cheaper to hire a big waggon from the international airport and drive, as we will need to hire something somewhere.

Are you aware of what paperwork a visitor may need to complete in relations to the firearms to stay on the right side of the law? I am sure that I Will be able to find this somewhere, so please do not conduct any research on my behalf if you do not know of the top of your head.

I have a moderator (silencer) are they allowed in the local area?

Silly Q's, but I see the site is roughly 6500 feet above see level. I know that will affect ballistics but does that altitude affect people coming from sea level? I honestly have no idea, the UK never gets that high!

More Q's to come I am sure,

DM

Airport would be Denver, Colorado for the closest international airport, but you may want to check Albuquerque, New Mexico also to see which is cheapest. You won't be able to get a direct international flight into Albuquerque but may be able to Denver.

Renting a van would be your best bet either of those airports are over 200 miles (322 kilometers) from Whittington. Just remember drive on the right lol, I forgot once on our trip to Ireland last may, thankfully my reflexes are still quick.

As far as coming through customs with guns I have no idea. I'd bet the NRA would have this info for you. In Colorado or New Mexico as long as you don't try carrying them concealed you are good to go, both states have no problems with weapons in vehicles.

As far as the silencer try checking with the New Mexico Department of Public Safety http://www.dps.nm.org/. I'll also ask the guys at my gun shop they are very knowledgeable about the local laws.

Yes you may have problems at these altitudes, but no more than some shortness of breath. The main thing in coming to New Mexico is to drink lots of water, I worked as a tour guide here for awhile and had numerous people from more humid areas end up dehydrated enough to require medical attention while on tour. Our average relative humidity during the day time is rarely above 30% in the summer and if you aren't accustom to it, it will suck the moisture right out of you.