Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

looking for a scope for my 522, advice needed

st112

So ive been looking at scopes for my 522 and ive got some questions as this is really the first time ill be buying a scope seperate from the rifle.

ive been mostly looking at these

http://combatoptical.com/catalog/1.5-5X32-DUAL-ILL.-COMPACT-QRM-SCOPE-BUILT-IN-5mw-GREEN-LASER-SIGHT-712.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/barska-1-3x30-ir-multi-rail-electro-sight-riflescope-cross-ir-reticle.html

http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Sniper-3-9X42-Adaptor-Package/dp/B0030H59PG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1285177609&sr=8-8

My biggest concern is the windage/elevation clicks not working well with a 22.

i like the idea of having a scope with a laser or a seperate red dot one set at close range and one set for 100 yards.  a friend has a similar setup and it works great. but i dont like having to always rely on the laser.  id like the ability to effectively use the windage/elevation clicks.

so if anyone has some advice, experience with one of the scopes, or recommendations for others that would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

I highly recommend the BSA Contender.

specifically the 4-16x40

The front bell is adjustable for ranges from 1-150 yards which is perfect for a .22, and it does have a "infinity" setting for ranges beyond 150 yards.

Since its also a zoomy, 4x to 16x it has the umph to put you up close and personal with the target.

The adjustment knobs are also "re-zero" thumb knobs. So once you get it zero'd in, you can loosen the thumb knobs, and reset them so that the index marking are on zero. This way you can always return to zero from any setting, and since they are thumb knobs and not "penny" knobs, you can adjust it with your fingers.

The scope is also a 1/8" scope. Many low end scopes are 1/4" scopes, which means each click moves point of impact 1/4" at 100 yards. The BSA gives you much better fine tuning as each click moves point of impact 1/8" at 100 yards.

I think these scopes now come with illuminated reticles, but I dont know. Mine was an older version.

Its spot on perfect for a target .22 rifle.

Here is a pic of it mounted to my 522 so you can see what it looks like. Bear in mind that I have the shade mounted on the front of the scope, so appears longer than it really is. I use the shade to keep the sun from creating glare on the elements. Also, I have a bubble level installed so I can keep an eye on canting.

post-257-14412436638_thumb.jpg

Well, nobody really knows what you'd really put on your rifle if you had the chance to try out all the options that are available.  I'll tell you what I'd put on the rifle.

A Primary Arms M4 Style Red Dot.  Anybody under 40 with normal eyes should be plenty accurate with that.  And acquiring a target is fast.  The sight isn't too expensive, being a clone and I haven't seen much negative stuff about it.  I have one, I like it.  So far, it seems a pretty reasonable cost/quality trade-off.

For low power magnification I'd spring for at least a Weaver 1x3 classic. For low power magnification and a glowing dot?  I'd do at at least a Millet DMS. 

A shot of the Red dot reticle:

Circle.jpg