Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Cleaning the bolt

sideshow99

I looked all over the web on a guide for cleaning the bolt but they all stopped just short of it. The bolt gets filthy and in my case was resulting in light primer strikes.

Here are the steps I took. Disclaimer: for informational purposes only, follow at your own risk.

DISASSEMBLY

1. Start by punching out the roll pin. It's awkwardly placed, but it will come out, you may need a small punch since you are coming at it at an angle.

Remember which position the tapered pin goes.

131e373f.jpg

2. Pry open the bolt using your hands first then a screwdriver. It's tight but gently pry back and forth  from each side and it will open. Watch for the springs inside as they can fly out.

155f32eb.jpg

ce528d49.jpg

3. Clean and polish all the parts, specially the firing pin and extractor. I use the wife's Walmart nail files.

65f125f4.jpg

before

d66e5594.jpg

after

3e057ecc.jpg

4. Remove the firing pin spring, it's stuck in there tight, so I used a small punch. One side of the bolt is wider so play around until it comes loose, don't force anything!

59193cf8.jpg

At this point you can do wobblinwheel's mod and remove a loop (or two) from the firing pin spring, this is supposed to reduce light primer strikes. Do this at your own risk as this could result in slamfires and other nasty things. You can also stretch the extraction spring for improved manual extractions. 

9e272717.jpg

5. Thoroughly clean and polish the bolt. I use a microfiber towel and wedge it in the firing pin channel and rub it back and forth

ad4e4700.jpg

REASSEMBLY

6. Now comes the fun part: The extractor spring needs to go back in. It only goes in one way, so it's hard to get it wrong, but if you thought the mag catch spring was tough, wait till you see this!

3c4d19c8.jpg

You will need to keep the spring in place while putting the 2 bolt halves together. USe your hands only, don't hammer or tap the bolt together. 

2cf3dafe.jpg

7. Test the firing pin and extractors for proper function then replace the roll pin in the same direction it came out.

cac44ef7.jpg

Your gun should now be almost as reliable as the day you bought it  :thumb:

f69a0c9e.jpg

I have had really good results in the reduction (near elimination) of misfires due to light strikes after shortening my firing-pin spring. then, when I started shooting CB's and Super-Colibri (super quiet) bullets, I realized how crummy the extractor was, as with these rounds you have to MANUALLY cycle the bolt. I found there was WAY too little spring tension on the extractor! A good STRETCH on the extractor spring helped that a LOT. Now if I need to manually extract a case or a bullet, I have MUCH better results. HOWEVER, since I have disassembled my bolt about three times, I have noticed the tapered pin that holds the bolt halves together has started to "creep" outwards. (to the right, where you can SEE it). A slight bit of Locktite on the pin might solve this, but in my case, I slightly "peened" the right-side hole with a small jewelers flat-blade screwdriver. Problem solved. THEREFORE, I do not recommend needless disassembly of the bolt halves JUST to clean the bolt. I highly recommend for cleaning to just drop the assembled bolt in a container of laquer thinner, or spraying it thoroughly with carburetor cleaner, then re-oil. I have had good results just removing the barrel/bolt housing assembly and giving it a good BLASTING with carb cleaner, letting it dry, and re-oiling the firing pin, extractor, and mainspring. The metal on the top half of the bolt seems to be some really soft shit, so don't over do it!