Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

GSG VS. ISSC mk-22

Pufferman

So I read that the ISSC mk22 and the gsg has basically the same internals.

I am requesting if anyone has pics of the internals that they have already taken.

Also, the mk22 has a barrel shroud around the barrel.  The flash hider keeps the barrel centered to the barrel shroud.  If I was to take the flash hider off, the barrel will torque to one side.  Does the GSG have this same problem?

I question the accuracy if the barrel shroud gets tweaked, loose, or bent.

TIA!

The GSG5 is a free floating barrel. The barrel Shroud aka faux suppressor does kind of center it as you screw it on. The barrel just looks so thin and weak.

as far as the .22 LR round causing the barrel to torque, I don't think it will happen. Could happen with .308. The main issue is the barrel is thin and could be bent causing your sights to be unable to sight in the barrel. You should use the flash hider or barrel shroud.

My faux suppressor is all metal, I can see why the ATF was concerned about it - it is strong enough to convert - a 2 liter pop bottle with pipe clamp worked fine on the 10/22, so this metal can would  too. (not encouraging anyone to illegally mod their faux suppressor).

A bit disappointed in the GSG5 first day out at the range - some FTF, FTE. Report to follow.

DNR = do not resuscitate

• 3 months later...

Well, any .22LR can accept a PVC based suppressor perfectly fine.  Aluminum is more "trick" and like the "big boys" but considering the "expansion ratio" between the tiny .22 bore at rimfire pressure to the relatively enormous volume of almost any suppressor design (especially the home-brew variety), total "flat plate" pressure is quite low.

As you posted, the GSG faux suppressor does provide an important and needed function...it stabilizes and centers the relatively thin, "whippy" barrel.  in fact - and I have not tried this, if one were to shoot for accuracy without the faux suppressor installed I would expect a noticable degradation of accuracy because the barrel is completely UNsupported from the receiver forward.

You will note that when installing an aftermarket barrel extension/muzzle attachment, the "spec" calls for the barrel to be trimmed and angled so the attachment acts to "center" it.

What I did with the 16" carbine barrel was to fabricate a 16mm x 1 mm "zero tolerance" bushing that when screwed down snug in the front sight base, aligns the barrel with ZERO axial play.  By leaving the threaded section "long" any style "faux" suppressor could be created.

I realize it's not "pc" these days to discuss how to build a suppressor, but the fact is, ANY device that attaches to the muzzle that lowers the sound-report is considered by the BATF to be a suppressor.  Even a completely open tube, if it resulted in a lower decibel rating would constitute a suppressor by definition.

I've played with "pop bottle" suppressors in the (distant) past and found them to be FAR more hype than practical reality.  In fact, depending on variables, adding a 2 liter bottle to the muzzle can actually INCREASE low frequency sound generated by the .22LR due to the "drum effect" of the large volume container, and low frequency sounds travel farther than high frequency.  So the "ear" hearing the sound may not intuitively know it is hearing a gun shot, but it WILL hear "abnormal sound" and take notice.