Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Walther PK380 Question

techmike

I have a PK380, really like it. Comfortable, easy to shoot, low recoil. Got it last September, maybe 150 rounds downrange. Got my FIST leather shoulder holster in December. By January the slide's black finish was fading, and all front edges were worn down to bare metal. (I think it had about 24 hours holster time) I took the thing back to Gander Mtn., and they offered to send it back to S&W on their dime. (It's a Walther, but made by Umarex I am told, and distributed by S&W) Just got it back, and the paperwork says they replaced the slide.

My question is, how to prevent the same thing from happening again?

The slide is some type of steel, as it is attracted by a magnet.

The finish is a flat black, that reminds me of soft anodized aluminum.

Walther's website calls it "black". (not blued)

Walther is reticent on the subject, all I could get via email was:

"Hello, the finish does wear on the PK380.  Please use a non-ammoniated cleaner on the firearm to prevent abnormal wear.  We recommend using Hoppes Elite Cleaner." 

Ok, but I don't use bore cleaner on the externals. All I had used was Break-Free CLP. The owner's manual simply says to oil the metal parts.

I could just dura-coat it matte black, but that would cover up the proof marks, which appear to be silk screened onto the slide. I also thought about using the clear matte dura-coat, but I don't know how that would cover the existing unknown finish.

Any ideas? (other than selling it and buying a Para)

Thanks!!

TM

post-10-144124369603_thumb.jpg

Ive read similar complaints elsewhere about that model.

Most finishes wear in a holster over time. Usually starts at the muzzle. For a while when it bugged me I bought stainless. Now I just accept it.

Your a good DIY guy, If it bugs you to look at give cerakote a try. Nice thing about a handgun is it fits in the oven

I hear ya. I have a Makarov that is at least 15 years old, a carry gun when I lived in Cali, heck it it has been in lakes, dropped, slid down a hill once and it looks better than the Walther did after 3 months. 

Later that week - after working the gun in and out of the new holster a few times, the front edges of the new slide started getting shiny. Time to order some duracoat!