Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Just got my Sig: Follow up

TrabFTW

Well. I've put 500 rounds through it as of today. Here's my thoughts so far.

The rounds were Federal, but not the red bulk wal mart stuff. They are a 40 grain blue box. (excuse my lack of ammo knowledge por favor)

Out of those 500, I had three stove pipes. 2 were because I limp wristed when having fun emptying a clip quickly. The last I'm not sure. I suspect it was a low charge that didn't push the bolt back enough. Also, I had one round drop 4 inches from my grouping for no reason, but that one didn't FTE.

Ok, now, back home and time to clean. Holy crap! I don't ever recall having to clean a gun so much. Is Fed ammo generally dirty or is my memory just bad. I haven't fired a gun since I was a kid and I'm 36 so I could have bad memory.

And, on that note, cleaning techniques and tools.

I only picked up a basic cleaning kit. Seems very basic. metal brush for the barrel, some swabs to run through, a solvent of some sort and a gun oil who's smell mixed with gun powder brings back memories of being in mechanized armor for some reason.

So, what are yall using to clean the hard to reach bits in the front of the receiver?

Other than that? My red dot sucks and am buying something better asap. And, I love it. It's a very easy and fun little rifle to shoot.

All in all, a great day. Was probably one of the best bonding moments I've had with my family in quite a while. Especially with my daughter, who after I showed her how to safely handle, check, load, and fire the gun, was a rock star. She looked like she'd been doing it for years.

Glad you like your Sig. I feel the same way about mine.

With respect to cleaning:  I don't recall ever seeing a gun that was so easy to break apart and clean as the Sig 522.

What I do to clean my guns is first run a patch dipped in bore cleaner down the barrel, followed by the bore brush. Then I send another patch dipped in the bore cleaner. Then some fry patches and oil. The bore cleaner I use is a 1942 can of US Army rifle bore cleaner that is a milky white in color. Where I got it from is lost in the mists of time.  The gun grease I use is from a large can of US Army gun grease from 1965. Just use a touch of that here and there.

That bore cleaner takes out any stubborn spots of soot on the action.

The 522 is kinda a pain to clean.

Its mostly the reciever, because there isnt much room to get tools in there.

If you can find a 12 guage nylon bristle brush, it works good for cleaning in the reciever. DONT use a 12 guage swab though....it will get caught on the ejector.

Im picky about cleaning my guns, so I use a bent pipe cleaner to get in the tough to reach spots.