Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Playing with Winchester 250 lever action .22

Michigan Joe

My friend owns a pawn shop and buys and sells long guns. I picked up a Winchester lever action .22. They were made between 1963 and 1992.

I saw an old ad in which this rifle, in 1963, sold for a list price of $58.95. There were similar rifles in semi automatic and a pump. I saw this gun once before and just liked it's "modern" styling.

I dropped out the trigger assembly and cleaned out the powder crud and took it out back. I ran about 120 rounds through it and had quite a bit of fun. I realized that this was the first time that I fired a lever action. Felt like a cowboy!

The gun operated very well and shot true. I even used Winchester  ammo.  It was a nice half hour.

This is a situation in which I got to own and shoot a gun that I could not have afforded as a kid wandering the woods. My gun back then was a Sears/Marlin bolt action.

The Winchester 250 is a nice handling gun. The receiver looks like it is aluminum, or some other metal than the steel barrel. But it feels solid and well balanced.

Perhaps as the tactical .22's soak up more of rhe market these older guns will sell for attractive prices and let us experience guns we used to drool over as kids.