Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

CMMG SIERRA .22LR Dedicate Upper - Flawless

I had a pretty crappy day shooting today. The CMMG Sierra was the bright spot. I was shooting pretty darn good with iron sights at 50 yards. Not a single misfeed or malfunction of any type. I did have an issue with the MagPul GEN 2 MBUS but Ill save that for another thread. This unit has not has been flawless to date. I cant recomend it enough.

• 2 weeks later...

At 50 yards I could not get the sights adjusted enough to get on paper. I need a different or modified front sight post. I tried the front sight on the same plane as the rear and on the gas block. The result was I had to aim at a nail either at the top or bottom of the target frame. It was funny actually. Thinking just now I need to look at the rail on the MOE handguard or the hanguard itself. It's a tight and maybe it didnt seat properly.

There was no issues with a scope.

Yes it's carbine. I have no way at home to verify which height is correct, the gas block riser or the mini riser. I suspect they both will but not positive.  I found the gas block riser here. At $17 theres not much risk. I think I will order one as well

Looks like Joe Bob gives you the "good ole boy" discount. It shows $32 for me.

I need to slow down and do this right. I appreciate your help so far.

Looks like if I buy the upper direct from CMMG it is a bit cheaper than from Brownells. I'm basing this on the upper that includes the stainless bolt. Here is what the cart on CMMG site looks like.

Sierra .22 LR 16 inch Upper w/Low Profile Railed GB (Stainless Steel Bolt Upgrade, Mil-Spec Anodized, Include Bolt Hold Open Actuator, Add 25 Round BHOA Magazine) Part No: U-M422-16SI  = $442 plus shipping of $24. Note that includes one BHOA mag.

Should I go ahead and get the stainless along with the BHOA or go for the cheaper route with the base entry upper.

I guess if it were you spending your money, what would your build look like?

ben

Honestly this BOHA and these other products are a very new product from CMMG. There is no historical data. The version I have is older, simpler. I actually like that because it's closer to the original common design from the likes of the early Atchisson, CMMG, Ciener, Spikes etc.

I don't own any BDM mags for the AR 22 uppers but I can say that the CMMG mags do hold the bolt open on an empty magazine via the follower extending into the receiver. The bolt drops when you remove the empty magazine and the standard AR15's bolt lock does not work at all with the 22 upper.

Catch 22 is offering a replacement bolt catch for your centerfire AR lower that will lock the bolt open on the 22lr uppers but will not work with the centerfire upper installed. I received one today.

Photos in another thread.

l

Just some YouTube searches on CMMG Bolt Hold Open and found some good information. Looks like CMMG offeres two devices. One drop in device that fits in the magazine well under the bolt which lets the lower receiver bolt home paddle to work as it would normally. The other is follower and spring to replace the unit in the magazines. I'm not sure that the follower is necessary, probably just trying to improve things.

ben

More food for thought. Same options dedicated upper vs. complete rifle. Difference of $140. Of course, I'll have to send it to an FFL and pay their fee.

Dedicated Upper:Sierra .22 LR 16 inch Upper w/Low Profile Railed GB (SST Forward Assist Equipped Action, Mil-Spec Anodized, Stainless Steel Go/No Go Collar, Include Bolt Hold Open Actuator, Add 25 Round BHOA Magazine)

Part No: U-M422-16SI

$485.35

Complete Rifle:QUEBEC .22 Evolution 16 inch Rifle w/Low Profile FSB (SST Forward Assist Equipped Action, Mil-Spec Anodized, Stainless Steel Go/No Go Collar, Add Bolt Hold Open Actuator, Upgrade to 25 Round BHOA Magazine)

Part No: F-M422-16Q

$625.35

Yeah, but hard to turn down a complete rifle at that price. Things started off simple in my quest for a tactical .22, but like many things I purchase it can be a snowball rolling down a big hill effect. I just want to avoid wishing I would have stepped it up a little in the beginning. Don't want to look back with regrets and wasted dollars.

The Quebec is a great price for any AR. Of course you know youll buy a centerfire upper at some point if you go that route

Not sure what you mean about knowing I'll want a centerfire upper at some point.

ben

Well you have an AR-15 now and your considering a .22 upper for it.

Reversed your considering An AR-15 that's a dedicated .22. So applying the logic from the original AR-15 at some point you will look to have a new centerfire upper for your dedicated .22.  It was a bad attempt at humor

Well you have an AR-15 now and your considering a .22 upper for it.

Reversed your considering An AR-15 that's a dedicated .22. So applying the logic from the original AR-15 at some point you will look to have a new centerfire upper for your dedicated .22.  It was a bad attempt at humor

I think I'll always have my AR15 no matter what. I may sell it and replace it with something nicer someday that I build myself, but one will always be in my arsenal. The .22 is for several reason -- cheap ammo, safer and quieter to use in certain locations, wife and oldest kid can learn on it, etc.

I fully realize I could find myself enjoying the .22 more than my AR15. That part does scare me a bit. LOL

I figured that even if I got the dedicated upper, I'd someday want to match it with a dedicated lower. No way I can find a complete lower for $140.

ben