Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

delta ring removal

cmscoltm4

Oops. My bad. :-[ Compress the delta ring, remove the hand guards, then you will need a barrel nut wrench to loosen the barrel nut, then you can adjust the barrel shroud. Took a pic of my wrench, it uses a 3/8" drive ratchet or other drive handle to operate. Sorry about the wrong info - saw "set screws" in your post and what passes for my mind drove straight to M4 Ops.

TM

post-10-144124385899_thumb.jpg

HERE, or a regular AR armorer's wrench will work also. Like This Of course, one is cheaper that the other.....If you order from Brownells, please remember to click the link at the top of the main page and order from there. EDITED to add: If you do not want to wait for an order to arrive, call your local gun smiths - they should all have an AR armorer's wrench, and probably won't charge much to do that for you.

Doesn't the barrel shroud have a flat side where it goes into the receiver that stops it from turning? Seems mine did. I had to replace the pins in my sight with set screws in order to get mine straight. Pretty easy job, just had to slide sight slightly forward so the set screws missed the holes in the barrel. My front sight was WAY off. By the way, the sight removes easily now, if you ever want to replace your handguard with something else.

If you decide to do this, there is a tap that fits the existing holes without drilling. If I remember correctly, it was 6-32 (I think). Remember there is a set screw under the sight that needs to be removed first. As it turned out for me, the same allen wrench that fit the bottom screw also fit the other four. Also, use the shortest screws you can find (1/8"?). With all 4 screws snugged down, the sight will not move, and when you loosen the screws, sight can be aligned, or easily removed.

Also, if you decide to remove the barrel nut (and not remove the sight) the wrench pictured will NOT work. It will not slide past the sight!

I truly didn't believe I needed to specify that. I thought that would be a little too obvious for the folk here, and that is why I also included ordering info for  an armorer's wrench which of course allows one to loosen and tighten the barrel nut with the front sight still attached.  To loosen nut = "lefty loosey", to tighten = "righty tightey".  ;D

TM

PS, your keyboard still has issues.  >:D