Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Picking out first scope feeling completely lost. Help please?

wks92

I am picking out a scope for my Savage FV-SR, and I feel completely lost. I want this rifle to be my project trainer rifle for longer distance shooting (50-300 yards).  I have a budget of around $250,  and i would like it to be a Mil-dot reticle.  Please help!

Well, There are certainly many choices out there. The BSA Sweet 22 comes to mind - it is a good scope, calibrated for .22lr,  has a BDC (Bullet Drop Compensator) for the common .22lr bullet weights. It does NOT have a mil dot reticle however. I think that for the .22lr, the BDC function would be more important than mil dots. JMO You also will have plenty of your budget $$ left over for ammo. This scope is on sale all over, Amazon, Optics Planet, ect.

The following is from another forum regarding the BSA scope:

"I own allot of Leupold scopes - but - I choose to put the Sweet 22 on my suppressed Ruger 10/22. The BDC function is extremely handy, and fun, for both plinking and hunting........ it allows you to get the most out of your 22 rifle. It is money well spent........... there are certianly more expensive scopes with better optics - but - none are as functional as the Sweet 22. You will not be disapointed with it."

So, this scope might be a starting point, you can get yourself started and see how you like it. And it won't break the bank.

Also, Welcome to Tac22!

TM