Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Upper and lower compatability

elchucko

There are some. The CMMG, the Spike's Tactical, the DPMS (I think) and I'm pretty sure there are others will accept centerfire uppers.

Many of the better AR-15 22s are built on standard AR-15 lowers and will accept centerfire uppers.

S&W, HK, Mossberg, SIG, Chiappa, Colt (among others) will not accept centerfire uppers.

You state "many of the better AR-12 22s" will accept centerfire uppers. Too bad Colt isn't on the list. I like the 22 cal Colt M4 OPS I have but shame on me, I should have done more research on the subject. I don't have a need for a centerfire upper but it would be nice to have that capability. It's just more of the idea of having a "real" AR platform as opposed to a gun that looks to be one but really isn't.  I'll make admission. I bought my Colt from Wal*Mart. I know the associate very well and he's the owner of 7 AR centerfires(for what reason I don't know). Anyhow he claims to have swapped uppers on the Colt  and S&W and they "fit". He was not able to actually fire them. And of course you can't return guns to W*M. As I stated before, I like the Colt but.......

The S&W utilizes standard AR-15 trigger groups so as far as the hammer striking the centerfire firing pin if a centerfire upper were installed is possible but I'm fairly sure that S&W has made it impossible to install a centerfire upper on their AR-15-22.

The Colt, SIG & Mossberg have nothing inside that remotely resembles an AR-15's innards and I have no doubt that a centerfire conversion is impossible.