Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

GSG-522 SD doubling

ccw1911

I can't be more happy with my 522 and really surprised by it's accuracy. I had the problem with it doubling and tripling every so often and found the answer here. The bolt stop was loose and tightening it solved the problem, I put a liberal amount of blue loctite on the bolt so I don't expect that to ever be a problem again.  I am a gunsmith and it bugs me if I can't figure out what causes something to go wrong and I'm stumped as to why a loose bolt stop will cause these guns to double. I'm probably looking over something simple but I'm anxious to hear opinions on why this happens. I'm sure someone has got this figured out.

I did a cheap and dirty fix on the flimsy scope rail by filling the hollows underneath with JB Weld putting a single layer of wax paper between the mount and the receiver bolting it down and letting it set up.  I protected the bolts by coating them with Johnson's Paste Wax.  It seems to be much more rigid, time will tell.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure I understand.

The bolt stop is the lever that pops up to hold the bolt open...how can it cause the gun to shoot multiple shots?

My OWN investigation into why some GSG's tend to fire multiple shots reveals it is because of the mass of the disconnector versus spring pressure!  The GSG has a rather heavy disconnector which means it's likely to be dislodged during shooting, and a heavier spring - actually doubling the spring can help prevent this.  Additionally, the sear and sear notch need to be recut, or shaped to help prevent doubles.

Please be aware that ANY rifle, pistol, or whatever that "doubles" or "multiples" is in violation of the NFA....

Thanks for the reply. I am calling (incorrectly) the part at the rear of the receiver held by a screw and you take off to remove the bolt the bolt stop.  Yes I understand the NFA problems one can have with a malfunctioning firearm and so I want to make sure I understand what was happening.  I can't get my head wrapped around why that part getting just a little loose would allow this to happen? 

• 1 month later...

The GSG makes use of a rather LONG arm to which the sear is mounted.  When you pull the trigger, this arm retracts, and upon disconnect is snapped downward...but the arm itself has considerable "mass" for its length and is therefore succeptable to "bouncing" out of engagement during recoild....especially as the gun heats up.

What I have done is to add a spring to the sear arm return spring and carefully reshape the sear and hammer notch to induce the mating parts to remain engaged.

Due to manufacturing tolerances, MOST GSG's will not experience doubles and triples.  SOME GSG's will experience doubles and triplles, and some GSG's will NEVER double and triple.

The SEAR should be CAREFULLY honed to create s slight undercut...and the hammer should be CAREFULLY hone to match so that shen the sear and hammer are engaged they have a very slight angle that acts to force them DEEPER INTO CONTACT...which, combined with normal spring pressure, mean doubling and tripling becomes a thing of the past.