Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Charging handle mod.

This is my CMMG Sierra dedicated .22lr upper mounted on it's Spike's Tactical lower.

It has a Bushnell Halosight, YHM gas block riser, Magpul BUIS front and rear, Magpul grip, Catch 22 bolt catch, Tactical Solutions firing pin and Black Dog Machine magazines. I love this little rifle, it works great.

One thing that was bothering me was the cheap plastic charging handle that came with the upper and after seeing a mod elsewhere I thought it was time to mitigate this shortcoming.

I purchased a Rainer Arms Raptor Ambidextrous charging handle for the 22. (the same one I use with my centerfire ARs) It's a very good charging handle but the dedicated 22 charging handles have the channel underneath filled so the tiny rimfire brass doesn't get caught there jamming the rifle.

I used JB Weld Steel Putty to fill the channel on the Raptor and then sanded to contour.

Looks great and works great.

Original vs Raptor.

Top.

modifiedRaptor001_zps287dc2ee.jpg

Bottom

modifiedRaptor002_zpscbfc3060.jpg

Top view installed

modifiedRaptor005_zps165c87fe.jpg

Side views

modifiedRaptor003_zps34107624.jpg

modifiedRaptor004_zps60bc8ddb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a CMC 3.5# drop in trigger for this rifle. The Spike's Tactical trigger in it left a lot to desired.

The 22s don't generally like to function with these light triggers but I've installed a Tactical Solutions perfected firing pin in this rifle that's supposed to resolve this issue. 

We'll see.