Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

GSG 522 SD top rail

I just bought one of the new GSG 522 SD rifles and mounted a red dot.  Once it was mounted I noticed there was some side to side movement with the rail.  :confused: I took the rail off and the rail mounts to a plastic attach point.  :o Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and if so is there anyway to fix it.  You can only tighten the screws so much since it mounts to plastic.  Thanks

I can but I don't know what you will see from them.  When you take the rifle apart and split it in half it is the plastic piece that goes in the top of the gun.  It is not made of metal and once you mount a optic you can move it from side to side.  I guess it wont hurt anything but I am not sure if I will have issues with keeping the sight zeroed.  When I get my screw upgrade kit from RRAGES and have the rifle apart I will take photos of the plastic piece.  Just didn't know if anyone else had the problem or if there was an after market piece that was better.  Thanks for the reply. ;D

• 2 weeks later...

I have the GSG-522 carbine and the picatinny rail is tight.  The ABS top insert fits into grooves in the aluminum receiver halves and would be prone to movement though the rail appears to contact the aluminum receiver rather than just the plastic portion.  This means that when the two mounting screws are snugged down the rail should be pretty solid but I suppose, depending on the weight of what is attached the rail could flex somewhat.

The first and simplest approach might be to add a few strips of tap to the underside of the rail to form a spacer and allow the rail to be snugged down to the aluminum portion of the receiver.  Another option might be to remove the rail and go to one of the many clamp-on style picatinny rails as these use the bosses on the aluminum receiver

Without the red dot installed it doesn't seem to move at all.  Its just when you get something mounted it moves side to side easily.  You have to physically move it. Its not so loose that it just flops around.  I should be getting my upgrade parts from RRages this week so I will see whats ups when I disassemble the gun.  Thanks for the post.

I have ordered the full length top rail from RRAGES.com.  That will eliminate the play in the cheap plastic mount.  The upgrades I got for my GSG are the Classic Army B&T GSG 5 Folding Stock, Classic army RIS, Screw upgrade, HK push pin upgrade, buffer upgrade, and two extra mags.  George is a great guy and he will hook you up. :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

I picked a few items from rrages starting with a couple of magazines then I ordered the CA collapsible stock and the HK rear drum sight with correct aperture.

Having owned both HK's and Ar-15's I prefer the front sight layout of the AR...center post with side wings.  The HK ring always seemed a bit distracting, HOWEVER when I mounted the HK adjustable rear drum sight to the GSG the sight picture is perfect--even for aging eyes due to the way "peep" sights tend to increase depth of field.  The HK sight is also heavy steel and sturdy.  The mounting point needs a bit of modification, honing down the cross ledge a bit and trimming the right side of that ledge to gain left sight movement but it's well worth the effort to have the superior sight.

The stock is really nice but of course the right arm extends into the ejection port area and must be trimmed back a bit but is also easily done with a dremel and files to clean it up.  I like the sling hook that comes with the CA stock but it takes a few minutes to "see" how it's supposed to go.

As for the stock top rail I agree it's not very sturdy with just two small screws but it does interlock on the underside.  MY main issue with it is it does not lie flat but it works well enough for my relatively tiny Optima Red dot that only weighs like half and ounce.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, I am new on here and saw your discussion about the plastic top rail mount on the gsg 522 sd. I just bought one also. I bought it because it was a sweet deal at 299.00, but I didn't notice till it was to late that the upper reciever on the sd is plastic like the lower. Just thought I would add this to the thread because I think this could also cause shifting issues in zero with the claw mounts as well. I think raiders is right in going with the full length rail, at least you will be tightening down metal to metal on the gas system. Just put a red dot on my cheap plastic mount I will see how it goes I guess.