Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Remington 597 VTR A2 Stock

Krieglok

I tried my new 597 VTR for the first time today.  The gun is well constructed and well balanced. I used a cheapie Leapers scope and a Aimshot halographic sight with decent results with our informal plinking session. The gun performed perfectly with about 400 rounds through the gun. Being a NJ resident, I am limited to the 10 round clips and they worked well. I was pleased with the rifle.

The only issue arose when I was cleaning the gun. I found the bolt handle seemed very loose and came out of the bolt with a minimum of effort. I disassembled the gun and removed the bolt. I found the rivit(or peened tit) was loose, keeping the small flat spring from holding the bolt handle securely. I gave a few taps top the rivit with a flat punch and it tightened up ok. I am curious to see if it stays tight after the next shooting session.

Overall, it is a decent rifle. It lacks iron sights though. It is something I would like on a gun like this.

TJM