Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Toy Looking GSG-5 Mags

I don't know how the rest of you guys feel about the magazines of this awesome MP5 clone, but I was quite disappointed in it's toy appearance. After all, this is a firearm. Just the fact that air soft MP5's have more realistic looking magazines was enough to get me into modifying my own real steel MP5 mags in 22 LR. I will post some pics when I am done.

Hey popcop45 I hear ya man!!  I been thinking of taking a few airsoft MP5 mags and cutting them apart and some how affixing the sides over the GSG mag sides.  I dont think this will interfere with function as the follower button is recessed.  Dont know how yet, but definetly thinking about it.  I know I have to ensure the mags are functioning good prior to affixing the sides and then maybe gluing them or something of the sort.  Maybe I'm spitballing in the wrong direction.  May just wait and see what you come up with.  Hopefully you wont run into many snags....good luck and keep us posted. :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

If you know someone who knows how to really use a sewing machine you can get them to craft up some mag covers that velcro on and keep dirt from entering through the slot down the sides.  The main reason externally lubricated bullets are not favored for combat/tactical use is because they require special handling versus the average centerfire, inside the case, jacketed bullet.  A snug fitting fabric sleeve that covers the magazine slot when the mag is inserted is ideal for the .22LR.

Thats a good thought Killbreaux.  I may try that myself and see where it goes.  Never hurts to try.  You know another thought along the same lines is the form wrap thats camo and can be wrapped around your rifle for camoing.  I wonder if they make it in black though.  Hmmmm....research in progress 8)

• 2 weeks later...