Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

First Impression: ISSC MK-22

So, was looking for a rifle for my 7YO boy.  Decided to build a dedicated AR, until I saw and read up on the ISSC MK-22.  Reviews were solid.  Called my gun guy and he was getting in one after a year on the waiting list. He called me yesterday when ups showed up. Picked it up this morning for 510.

Specs:

.22LR

All metal upper receiver and handguard.

Plastic picatinny rails on side and bottom

Metal mounted picatinny on barrel shroud

22 rd. spring loaded magazine (was able to load in 24 rounds)

collaspable folding stock.

adjustable cheek rest

birdcage flash hider

ambidexterous safety

6 position mountable charging handle

7.16 lbs

Upon unboxing it, the rifle stock was unassembled.  Just a metal rod and done! Flip-up iron sights came in little bubble wrapped plastic thingies along with allen wrenches.  They were packed loosely so some paint was chipped.  Took but two minutes to install. Also comes with poly 22rd magazine.

Looking at it... it looks like a well built quality product. No cheezy plastic here.

Alright here's some shitty quality pics! want better pics? google it!

ISSC MK-22

mkglamourshot.JPG

Foldable Stock

mk007.JPG

Birdcage flash hider

mkflashhider.JPG

Flip-up iron sights

mkironsights.JPG

Back-up pistol style sights

mkpistolsights.JPG

I decided I wanted to take off the flash hider to see if the barrel is threaded and how thick it was... I found this!  WTF DOOD!

mkWTFbarrel.JPG

So... the barrel has a shroud around it.  Took off the flash hider which was threaded to the barrel shroud, not the barrel itself.  In the pic you can see the barrel bending to the shroud.  I can use my two fingers to bed this bitch back and fourth.  We shall see if this affects accuracy this weekend when I break it in.

Moar updates after I fire this thing in a few days...

I will be taking this rifle apart before I go shooting with it to see the barrel issue. 

Being it has basically the same internals as the GSG... I wonder if the GSG's barrel is also centered by the flash hider?

Only problem i see at this point is that if the barrel shroud does gets bent, accuracy will suffer.

Judging by the schematic, the barrel is wobbly because it is only attached to the upper metal "receiver" via bolt and locking nuts from the side by "clamping".  the barrel itself is solid and not bent.

isscmk22.png

possible fix if clearance allows is to have a block machined and slide down the barrel and secure to the upper metal receiver towards the front thus stabilizing it a little better.  but this is a 500 dollar gun.  the process to do that runs probably a coule hundred and by then I could have built a dedicated AR-22.

live and learn.

Took out the MK-22 and 200 rounds of ammo out to the in laws place this weekend.

Ammo:

CCI Maxi 29grain .22lr target/plinking high velocity

Federal Classic 40grain .22lr high velocity

I heard that CCI's were the preferred choice of premium ammo. So I picked up a box of 100 rounds.

The federals were old stock from my father in law.  Copper plated lead core. These were so old that they had green oxidation on the copper plating.

I started with the CCI. 22 rounds in the mag and fired them. 2 rounds in...missload. Cleared and fired again. First mag I had 3 missloads.  Ran another full mag and had at least 3 missloads.

Next 2 mags I loaded the Federals. First mag I went slow and fired all rounds without a hiccup. Second mag I unloaded it into my target no problem.

Turns out the CCI lr 29grain was overall shorter in length than the federals, hence the missloads.

Let my 7YO fire off the rest of the ammo.

So, thus far it's a good thing that the MK-22 will handle another brand other than the recommended CCI's. I'll have to make note to purchase 40grains.  I will be picking up various brand ammo, even bulks to do further testing.

As far as rifle performance... It's pretty accurate. At about 50yds even my boy was able to group it within his noob ability. The iron sights are pretty decent, but the backup pistol sights are a little awkward to use to sight.  Recoil? What recoil?! Lol

No barrel issues as I thought that I would have. It functions as it should. No complaits.  Magazine is easy to load.  The springloaded slider does assist in loading the ammo so need not effort to press down and in to load so it won't take you 5 mins to load but 5 seconds to fire till empty.

Overall, it's a quality product.  Exceeded my expectations on performance.  Only issue but it's not gun related is ammo selection. The shorter 29grains will cause chambering issues.

Will add updates once they happen.

Today I picked up a box of CCI Mini Mags and wally world Federal 550 special

Ammo:

CCI Mini Mags 40 grain hollow point high velocity

Federal 36 grain hollow point high velocity bulk

Ran 2 mags of the CCI and it shot perfect. No issues

Ran about 100 rounds of the Federal and they also cycled through without a problem

At least I know that the MK-22 isn't ammo picky thus far.

Only issue is that the Federal ammo shoots dirty. The original CCI maxi, the CCI mini mags, and the federal classic shot clean. Breach was still shiny afterwards.  After just one mag of the federal bulks, the chamber and breach was black and there was residue powder in the chamber.

Next step is tear down and a thorough cleaning.