Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

So my new guns came in today...

crashoverrideplik

I ordered a new S&W 1911 E model with crimson trace handles. I've been eagerly awaiting it's delivery. Man is it beautiful.... until I found a stack of 1911's that a guy traded in earlier today in the next case. Now if you have not ever heard of these wallet threatening names NightHawk, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown and Dan Wesson then please don't look them up on the internet. I'm reconsidering my S&W purchase after seeing some of these guns. It also open s my world up to a whole new level of spending. I was a bit wallet shocked at a handgun that was in the $1200 range, now that I've seen guns in the $2K+ range I'm probably not going to be able to undo the pucker marks in my shorts. I just have to say you get what you pay for. Man is that stuff nice. Make that S&W look like a half assed, slapped together by 8 year old's,pile of crap. This is going to hurt....

S&W does a good job and gives good value for the money . When you start to spend the big bucks you are paying for refinement and minute details that mostly affect appearance and ergonomics rather than performance down range.

Last year I got to photograph 1911's that were truly custom, years waiting for delivery. The least expensive model was over $5k. Most were built by Ted Yost. The owner typically shot them once or twice to verify function and accuracy.

For me it's a balance. If they are too nice and pretty they will become show pieces rather than shooters.

My ancient S&W 745 with a Bar-Sto barrel holds it's own with my heavily modified Colt Gold Cup.

Those guys you mention do make nice stuff for sure. I almost chose a Wilson over Kimber last fall.

Folks like Les Baer and Briley make good stuff too

I actually got a chance to shoot the custom jobs vs a Kimber Pro Carry that I own. Honestly... there is no comparison. I put 8 in one hole @ 10 yards With the NightHawk. I had 8 in the 10 ring with my Kimber using the same ammo. I noticed as the $ amount went up the smaller the groupings became. Now I can say I still don't know if my wallet can take it or maybe it's just a mental thing. I have no issue spending that kind of money on a rifle but pistols... it's just hard to justify. I'm gonna have to give it some serious thought.

I actually got a chance to shoot the custom jobs vs a Kimber Pro Carry that I own. Honestly... there is no comparison. I put 8 in one hole @ 10 yards With the NightHawk. I had 8 in the 10 ring with my Kimber using the same ammo. I noticed as the $ amount went up the smaller the groupings became. Now I can say I still don't know if my wallet can take it or maybe it's just a mental thing. I have no issue spending that kind of money on a rifle but pistols... it's just hard to justify. I'm gonna have to give it some serious thought.

price per pound a rifle is better value. Seriously, though i think everyone should buy the gun of their dreams at least once, just to see how it feels. for me i suspect it will be an Ed Brown

The Ed Brown I shot was really nice, but $ for $ the Wilson Combat ($50 more) or NightHawk Custom ($100 more) has it beat. I want the NightHawk in a bad way. I even dreamed about owning it last night. Just worried that if I bought one it would be a trophy piece and not a girl I take to the dance every weekend.

while i would love to have the extra coin to drop on some off those terrific $2k and up jobs, to me as long as the gun works and shoots reliably and puts lead on target thats all you need... the rest is nice if you can afford it but look at the ak47 not a pretty gun, not an expensive gun but it will still shoot and put your target down just as well as any super pricey ar... and the best explanation i have heard yet for carrying pistol is so you can fight your way to a rifle... price per pound and price for the fire power cant beat a rifle... my $0.02