Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Clark Custom 10/22 Barreled Action

So as a project for the site Ive been wanting to build a custom 10/22 tack driver. I was planning on buying a cheap model and replacing everything. Then I stumbled across this at Brownells. While it is pretty pricey it's actually a wash with what I had planned and maybe even a tad cheaper (and done right) All it needs is a stock...

Im seriously considering this unless someone tells me something else like a Volquartsen is much better.

Can't speak for the Clark Custom 10/22 barreled action, never seen one but have always heard good about them, but I can speak of the Volquartsens. I own (2), a .17HM2 and a .22lr, both standard versions, and they really shine. I was a little leery of spending this much at first but the second quickly followed the first. What I first perceived as "spendy" now seems like a complete bargain.

I'm sure I could never do justice to a custom target set-up like that, but the price isn't really out there, I've got that much tied up in my 10/22 with the cost of rifle, trigger, stock and scope. Plus while mine is very accurate I'd never call it a tack driver, I've got it set up to rapidly engage 4-10 inch targets between 25 and 50 yards.

• 1 month later...

also are the non thumbhole stocks ambi?

Their non-thumbhole 3 position stocks are not ambidextrous. You must specify your preference. I follow the instructions on the box for bedding. On 10/22s you'll need to bed about the first 1-2 inches of the barrel to avoid barrel droop due to the barrel being a clamp mount. Old 10/22s and Volquartsens have screw in barrels but it's still advised to bed the first inch or so of the barrel due to the 10/22 having only one action screw. This is assuming you'll be floating the barrel. I also pillar bed my stocks to avoid stock compression and maintain proper action screw torque.

This may sound complicated but it's really very easy and fun. Just take your time.