Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

ISSC MK22 First Impressions

Michigan Joe

I picked up my Mk22 last Monday and today was the first time I shot it.

It comes in a plastic case that is foam rubber lined. Also, with the gun comes several front sights that you use to adjust elevation. A small screwdriver is included to adjust the windage back sight.

When I first saw the gun I was not impressed. It looked cheap to me and crudely made. Everything that can be made of plastic without the gun blowing up in your face, is made of plastic. Being that I paid $200 for the gun delivered, I could see how they could sell it for that price.

That being said, after shooting 350 rounds through it, and having gotten used to its looks, I thought the gun performed very well. It did not like the Federal solid roundnose 40 grain bullets as much as it did the Blazers, but it could be that the Federals were too powerful, as there seemed to be a lot more stovepipes as the gun broke in. Perhaps it was cycling too fast and catching the case on the way back(?).

I really liked the magazine. It was plastic, but a strong thick substance that had the look and feel of metal. Very easy to load.

The grip had all of these little nubs to enhance the ability to grip the gun, but I found them uncomfortable. Next time, I will wear shooting gloves.

The gun was fun to shoot in that because it is fairly light you get the impression that you are firing a more powerful weapon. However, it is never going to win any target shooting matches. A little too light.

Blasting away at targets while practicing tactical moves seems to be what the gun is made for.

Overall, the gun performs very well. You have to get past the "plastic" construction. Worth $200?  Definitely. But, if you have several .22 handguns already, I do not think the Mk22 will end up being your favorite. I'd save up a little more and get something more substantial.

Yep, I meant the M22.

I want to make it clear that I am used to shooting a early 80's Buckmark Challenger III, which has wood grips and is made all with metal. The M22, which looks like a Glock, was new to me. The looks grow on you, of course.

Perhaps a big consideration is the weight. The M22 is light. Probably a pound. At first my groups were the size of a Volkswagon. They got a little better as I got used to the gun.

I forgot to mention that the trigger action was not that good. I have no idea how to take the creep out of the action.

My M22 had no trouble staying open after the last round.

As I may have mentioned, loading the magazine was really nice and easy. And, it has the mag release on the side of the grip. A little separate button.  That may be normal for Glocks, but I never saw it before, and I really liked it.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I liked the darn thing.