Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Any insight on learning to shoot left-handed??

Since the cataract in my right eye appears to be getting WORSE, and I don't see me coming up with the cash to get it fixed any time soon, I have been trying to learn to shoot my Colt/Umarex M4 left-handed (using my left eye, of course). Let me tell you, it is awkward as HELL! It's almost like wiping your ASS with the wrong hand......almost feels like somebody ELSE is doing it! I am consistently shooting to the LEFT, even though I know my scope is zeroed. Somebody said something about "parallax here, but I don't know exactly what that means. Also, I seem to shoot LOW a lot too. Have any of you tried to do this and had good results? Know any "tricks"? Also, has anyone heard of a LEFT-HANDED charging-handle (latch on the RIGHT side) for the Colt? This getting old and blind shit, without any insurance, is for the &*^%@#! BIRDS!!

I practice both right and left handed shooting...its a tactical thing. If i get injured in the right arm/hand i want to know i can still perform if needed.

The problem isnt actually holding or firing the gun, the issues arise with "eye dominance".

In nearly everyone, the brain favors one eye, just like we favor one hand.

Take a pistol, open both eyes, and aim with the sights. Now close one eye and see which one actually has the correct sight picture. Which ever one does, is your dominant eye.

What you have to do is retrain your brain to favor neither eye.

There are a few training methods you can use.

1. Practice pistol shooting by flipping between your dominant eye and your non-dominant eye on sight picture, until you can do either without actually thinking about it.

2. Use your non-dominant eye by closing the dominant one, and then once sight picture is attained, open the other eye, fire a round and repeat.

With pistols, you can shoot left handed and use a right dominant eye for correct sight picture, but unfortunatly you cant really do this with a rifle.

Id really recommend training with a pistol, until you become comfortable with it, and then transitioning to a rifle.

Hey Woblinwheel, I have the same problem. My right eye has problems so I have tried to use my left eye.

With pistols, if you shout with a two handed grip, there does not appear to be a big problem. It just feels a little weird.

With a rifle, I tried and had big problems, so I just started using Red Dot scopes which just made it somewhat easier.

I looked for left handed rifles and found the selection of real left-handed rifles, (one that ejected brass on the left) to be very limited.

Perhaps if you find a method that works to shift from right eye to left eye shooting, you will let us know.

I'm a leftie, but routinely shoot with both hands as a training exercise. I'd recommend just lots of dry fire at home to develop the muscle memory in the handling of the rifle. The awkwardness is caused by lack of muscle memory for that hold and it takes time, specially since you're now using both your non-dominate eye and hand.

I've shot left handed rifles and done care for them and finding parts or accessories is more difficult. There are left or ambi charging handles whether any fit the .22 I don't know

It looks like I'm getting a little better at tightening my groups a bit shooting lefty. I think if I can re-train myself to instinctively grab the grip with my left hand, the rest comes easier. so far, every time I pick up the rifle, I grab the grip with my right hand, then I have to think about it and switch hands (eyes, and shoulders). That's when it gets awkward! Since I installed the Badger extended charging-handle latch, I find I can fairly easily tilt the rifle over to the right and actuate the handle with my right hand, grabbing it with my last two fingers. I actually think I might be getting a "grip" on this! It does do my heart good to know that one of the reasons I can't afford health care is because the United States is diligently trying to cure AIDS and HUNGER in AFRICA. Obviously, they deserve it more than we do!!??