Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Aguila "Sniper Subsonic" in Umarex/Colt?

wobblinwheel

Has anyone tried the Aguila 60-grain "sniper subsonic" .22lr rounds in any of the Colt/Umarex M4 rifles? Iwonder how well they cycle the mechanism, and how long it takes them to dirty-up the chamber to where they start "sticking" and misfiring? I also wonder how they sound suppressed? That 60 grain bullet sounds like it might be rather DEADLY to some of these squirrels in my yard! Also, Cheaper-Than-Dirt has them on sale by the brick.

After reading some of the reviews on CTD's site, apparently they DO cycle fine in SOME semi-autos. Given the ammo-finicky nature of the Colt, it would be interesting to know if they work. Read the reviews on CTD. It seems most of the reviewers using semi-autos had good results. I like shooting subsonics (suppressed), and it seems the 60 gr. bullet would still pack a PUNCH even at under 1000 fps.

Has anyone tried the Aguila 60-grain "sniper subsonic" .22lr rounds in any of the Colt/Umarex M4 rifles? Iwonder how well they cycle the mechanism, and how long it takes them to dirty-up the chamber to where they start "sticking" and misfiring? I also wonder how they sound suppressed? That 60 grain bullet sounds like it might be rather DEADLY to some of these squirrels in my yard! Also, Cheaper-Than-Dirt has them on sale by the brick.

40 grain isnt deadly enough?

ya, i guess so.... but not sure bout shootin the 60 grain... seems like its might not cycle good enough. but i did try the federal 550.. sumthin new for me, since ive been using CCI minimags and stingers. but stingers are STILL my fave!

A broken in 10/22 will eat most ammo. I don't have issues with the noise, but wind so I don't use subsonics because we can get such strong winds here, today being a good example we're having gust to 45mph with sustained around 30mph.

I keep a magazine for my Browning Buckmark Camper loaded with Aquila Colibri in case I need to deal with a coyote after my dogs here in the neighborhood, no sense in waking the neighbors.

I've had good results shooting them in a P22, GSG, 10/22 and Ciener 1911 conversion.  Report and recoil are stout by .22LR standards, but so far I've never had one fail to chamber, go bang, or eject.  Bolt thrust is certainly higher which enhances reliability.  The heavy lead bullets seem to impact with authority.

Selected reviews from CTD for Sniper Subsonic.

When creating subsonic ammunition, the velocity is set. What Aguila did here was figure out the heaviest bullet that would fit within the overall length of a 22 LR while still being able to travel at the predetermined speed. This round was not designed to cycle semi-autos, if yours happens to work, then good for you. It was not designed to be stabilized in a 1 in 16 twist barrel, if yours happens to work, then good for you. What this round will do is shoot extremely accurately out of a 1 in 8 twist barrel and when you add a suppressor all you hear is the sound of the firing pin. I recommend the Yankee Hill Machine 22 Mite. So when reviewing this product, please keep in mind its purpose. I do agree that it smells a little funny, but so do some of my shooting buddies. :)

I shot this as a test cartridge, just wanted to see how well it would perform. It doesnt, atleast in a Ruger 10/22, it doesnt cycle barely. By the time it hit paper at 25 yards it was tumbling. Horrible smell to the fired casing, and left the gun very dirty. I wont buy Aguila again. I ended up giving the box to the range master, told him find someone that just wants to pull the trigger.

These are amazing bullets! These rounds are great if you use them for what they're designed for. They are NOT semi-auto pistol rounds, since obviously the lead will scrape off at any contact points, (magazine, chamber, etc), however, they work beautifully in my Taurus and Heritage revolvers. These bullets are designed to be used in longer-barreled, bolt-action rifles, 22"-26", but I have had great success in my Henry H001 Lever as well as my Marlin 981T. It helps to have a faster twist rate to stabilize the longer, heavier bullets; otherwise, you may wind up with the rounds keyholing. I haven't had a problem thus far. If you are wanting a rifle specifically to shoot these rounds in, with a suppressor, it would be a good idea to contact Aguila and find out the best specifications for the rifles they used to test this ammunition. Bottom line: These are great rounds, IF you use them the way they should be. 4 out of 5 for keyholing in the average-twist rate rifle or handgun. I don't want to buy a new gun for every new round that comes out.

This ammo smells bad right out of the box and leaves lead dust on fingers. On a clip designed for the .22 Long Rifle the metal guides at the end scrape away at the bullet's soft lead making it jam while loading in bolt-action rifles. These are actually .22 Longs with over-sized bullets and accurate when each round is loaded one at a time. The powder load is irregular with some rounds sounding like a firecracker while others make the ears ring without hearing protection. They fire dirty and leave a lot of lead deposits in the barrel. I don't recommend them.

Where these things shine is that they have the hitting energy of a regular sub-sonic round (mini mags for example) but are much quieter. Energy = Velocity Squared x Mass. Still not quiet in a rifle, but way less noisy that regular 22LRs. The powder is pretty nasty and if smoke gets in your eyes, it burns so wear goggles. I had occasional FTF, but overall, not a bad round for what it is trying to do.

End of Reviews.

Don't know that I would like shooting a .22 that smelled bad......Since the Colt has a 1 in 13-3/4 in twist, I think that the 60gn bullet would tumble.  JMO

TM

Actually, a 1 in 13.75 is not too bad for a .22 rifle. It's my understanding that the standard for most .22's nowadays is 1 in 16. I've been told by people who know a lot more than me, that a 1 in 13.75 twist in a 16" barrel should put an unusually good SPIN on the bullet. Still remains to be seen. If I could find one 50 round box for 4 bucks or so, I would still be willing to give them a try.