Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Range Report Ruger 357 LCR

Tal

This is my carry piece that I picked up the other day. Thanks to Microgunner, and others for suggesting the pocket holster. I bought the BlackHawk Size 3, and it fits perfeclty in my pocket, with absolutely no printing, gun stays handle up, and ready for use, and completely conceled. For a concealed weapon and the 5 for sure factor, this is a hard set up to beat. When I first started carrying it I tried it out, and felt a little strange. I even came out in shorts and a T shirt, and told my family, I'm carrying a hand gun.. Where is it. They Guessed, because they couldn't tell. As far as concealment, just a great gun..

Now to the range.

I brought 100 rounds of 38 special with me, 50 rounds of 38 +P and 100 rounds of 357 magnum. Surprising little recoil with either of the 38 rounds. I practiced my draw from my pocked holster and fired from the "Marksman" position (One Handed). Very Accurate at 7 yards in about 3 inch patterns. I will say that it took me a few rounds to get the site pattern down. There is no Rear site. Just a groove cut into the top of the gun. As I said took me a few shots, to get it dialed in, starting at 3 yards and then back to 7. Once you get used to it, it's an accurate little pistol even with the 1 and 1/2 barrell.

The pistol is double Action Only with a concealed hammer making it much easier to draw from a holster. Trigger action was the smoothest double action I have ever fired. Felt like a single action. This firing from a holster was new to me, but is a lot of fun. Still in the slow practice stage but the Gun withdraws smoothly from the holster. I'm still at the beginner stage of the holster thing, but I can tell it's a valuable skill  and I will continue to work with it....

Now for the 357 part...

I told the owner of the range, I was going to try it out, and he started salivating wanting to try it. He's a good guy, so when he got a chance, he came back to the lane and I loaded up 5 rounds of 357 mag for him and let him go at it. Damn thing was amazing. He had a 2 handed grip, firing at about 9 yards, and the 1st shot left him speecless with a big shit eating grin on his face. Then he shot the last 4 in the cylinder, opened the cylinder, and said..."WOW....WHAT A MONSTER!!!"

I shot around 50 rounds of 357 mag through it tonight as well as the 38. Recoil was definitely noticeable in the small frame but not unmanageable. With the 357 rounds it is a 2 handed gun. I tried a couple of rounds single handed, but site reaquistion was hard because of the recoil. The rubber grips help tremendously with the recoil. I actually think it may have less recoil than my old Dan Wesson 6" barrel from the 70's. I'm definitely going to A/B them my next trip. I will say for a carry round the penetration of the 357 bothers me, so I am carrying a special home defense round, of compressed metal powder that wont carry through walls, but will penetrate, and then basically blow up inside the bad guy. Fired a few tonight at paper, but I wish I would have had some ballistic gel to try them on.

The FUN factor with the 357 round is a '10"!!!!!

When shooting the paper targets is was just blowing them off the clips with dead center shots, about every 10 rounds.

With the number of different ronds this gun fires, the concealablility factor, and the fun factor, this pistol is going to be in my inventroy for a long, long time...

Who says the revolver is dead. This damn thing is just FUN!!!!

Yep the draw from the holster thing is a whole lot different than having one concealed in the car. Two completely different schools of thought. With the car, you have the firearm concealed and easily accessable, then you go through the scenarios. Attacker from the front, back sides, multiple attackers, etc..

1st time I've carried concealed, but it becomes pretty apparent, that the holster draw is the most important thing (Besides hitting the target..LOL..), in any concealed situation. Something I am working on, and have been working in front of a mirror with an empty firearm....