Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Broken Bumper on Colt 22 M16

Plinkster

Has this happened to anyone else?

I have run about 2K rounds thru this so far, with not one jam. I field stripped my trusty reliable and very fun Colt (Umerex) Tactical .22 M16, upon breaking it open a part fell out. I was shocked, then realized it was the rear “plastic†bumper P/N 576.20.09.1. I have no clue why they used plastic and not aluminum of another softer metallic part. New bumper is pictured with the broken bumper.

P1060769.jpg

Plastic bumper P/N 576.20.09.1 part is referenced here as #63 from the manual.

UmerexP63.png

This was still under warranty, I phoned Umerex, and they sent me out another bumper no charge. Great service.

I use High Velocity .22 ammo; however, I have not adjusted the bolt speed from the stock setting. It works great as is, but do you think this contributed to the demise of the bumper?

Hey Plinkster, The part in question is the rear limit stop for the bolt assy, or "slide" as Colt has named it. I have probably near 5k rounds through mine and the bumper appears untouched. I am thinking that your spring might be adjusted for standard ammo, and you have been shooting HV ammo? This means that the spring is not stopping the rearward motion of the bolt, and it has been impacting the bumper. Might want to check the spring's adjustment - The adjustment  screw should be flush with the slide housing for standard velocity ammo, and in 4 complete turns for high velocity ammo.

Nice to hear of the good customer service from Umarex!

TM

• 1 month later...

I have run about 2K rounds thru this so far, with not one jam.

I use High Velocity .22 ammo; however, I have not adjusted the bolt speed from the stock setting. It works great as is, but do you think this contributed to the demise of the bumper?

I think you might be on to something ... 2K rounds is a lot with no failures!

What if the OEM bumper dimensions are responsible for a lot of the failures related to this Gun. And your damaged Bumper gave you good sucess that few have found ? ???

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ok, this happened again.

Two observations:

1. Seems to happen about every 1,500 rounds give or take a few hundred rounds.

2. I thought I had screwed in the bolt spring screw all the way to prevent this. I checked it this time cleaning and it kept going, and going, and going.... I never did get it to stop I was afraid of going too far. I did notice a considerable change in the tension or spring back of the bolt as I pulled it back and released it.

So, I'll call Umarex again and ask them for another one. I wish they'd use either aluminum or brass for durability.

Anyone else having this issue?