Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Just shot my new M16 SPR

Sparkola24

...love it..tight groups from many distances...no jams.  When I got home..my accessories arrived..

So new question...the suppressor(for looks only..I know) hits the front sight when I try to screw it on, so I need to move it back slightly but not sure how..some help here?

Also, the laser I bought seems to get bigger the further away it is from a target...is that normal?  I bought the Umarex/Walther green laser.

Thanks.

Glad it is a good shooter! Now for the bad news.....

The front sight is pinned to the barrel shroud. You can remove it, but it leaves two big ugly holes in the barrel shroud. FYI, I removed mine, filled the holes with agra-glass, sanded it smooth,  and dura-coated the shroud.

The "compensator" from Colt - the faux suppressor - is for the M4 & M4 Ops models only. Never knew why, as I have an M4 and it fits fine on mine, before & after I removed the front sight.

Well, they will sell you anything you order and pay for.  ;D  If I remember correctly, (always a problem with me), the pins are tapered, and only drive out one way. Look to see if the pins are larger in diameter on one side, if yes, drive them out from the smaller side. If they look the same on both sides, drive them out from either side. I disassembled mine pretty completely to remove the sight and dura-coat it after. If you choose to do the same, be advised it will void your warranty. Always a consideration with a new $500 rifle.....

I have two AR type sights in my parts box, the one with solid pins is from an AR. The Colt/Umarex sight has roll pins, and can be driven out with a correctly sized punch and a small mallet. A bench block is always handy for this task, and Brownells also sells one specifically for AR sight removal. I have the blue one, and that is what I used. So a nice padded work surface, punch, mallet, bench block, separate the upper & lower receivers, remove the flash hider, and be careful to NOT bump the end of the barrel. If you do, the magazine catch spring and bolt can come loose and/or get damaged. I know this to be factual. ;D

And of course, make sure it is unloaded before you start! C:-)

You did say M-16 didn't you.... my bad - I was thinking of a free floating handguard like on the M4. The spring loaded handguard is most likely putting pressure on the front sight and pins. BTW, without the front sight, there is nothing to hold the handguards in place unless you switch to a free floating style handguard. Can you post a picture of your rifle and maybe a close-up of the front sight?

Looks like they are tapered pins, and the rounded ends are smaller. If you have a caliper you could verify that, but from here it looks like you will need to drive them out from the rounded side. What i do with pins that won't budge is to take a punch and shorten it to where it only has about a half inch of punch left and start the pins with that, once started you can drift them out with a longer one.

Good luck!

Just my opinion, but I would thing you might need that sight one day. I would much rather modify that bayonet lug than remove the fold-up sight! Also, you can disassemble the compensator by unscrewing either end cap. You may need to apply some heat with a propane torch to release the locktite. After removing one end, you could easily shorten the body of the compensator enough to screw it on. I'd rather modify the comp. than the rifle!

Also, you can disassemble the compensator by unscrewing either end cap. You may need to apply some heat with a propane torch to release the locktite. After removing one end, you could easily shorten the body of the compensator enough to screw it on. I'd rather modify the comp. than the rifle!

Not a good idea.