Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

having trouble with my butler creek 25 round mag it always jams

• 1 year later...

I compared my butler creek to a BX-25 and noticed the rear of the feed lip is squared on the butler creek, and rounded on the BX-25.  After using a flat file to round the back of the butler creek lip, I have had few, if any, problems.  The only other issue I've found is with the fitment of the butler creek mag.  It wiggles a bit in the socket, unlike the BX-25.  I usually find that pushing the bottom of the mag slightly forward before the first round fires takes care of it.

The butler creeks also don't like the mag loaders for some reason. Occasionally when I load mine with the loader I get jams and I believe it is because sometimes the rounds aren't pushed all the way back. Then when they get down into the mag they drag in the curve. I always hand load mine for our Tac 22 matches.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard that sanding the steel lips on the BC mags with some 1000 grit sandpaper makes

them work better...so I did it on mine but I'm still waiting for my Takedown... Also, on the inner side

near the back of the mags there's a lip there in the steel, if you file that lightly with a small file it's

supposed to make the BC mags feed better.  I saw that in the rimfire section of canadiangunnutz.com, there's a sticky at the top about mods and advice.