Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

m16 .22lr magazine question

kevguillot

Hey guys im new to the forum and new to the colt m16. I have one question about the magazine. Should i be able to just pull the magazine out without pressing the release button? Because i can and im not sure if there is something wrong with mine or if this is how it is designed. My initial reaction is that i shouldnt be able to pull it out. It has never just fallen out though.

Any input on this would be helpful before i call urmarex.

thanks again

kevin

Hi Kevin, No, it it supposed to be latched securely. Sometimes with the bolt in battery they don't latch easily. You can also practice with an empty mag, they do need a firm hand to seat when the rifle is new, and have you tried more than one mag? If you only have one mag, I suggest taking the rifle and mag back to the store and asking them to try another mag. Also, welcome to Tac22.

TM

You should call Umarex and tell them about it. They may send you a new mag-release. It's easy to fix yourself, with a little filing on the catch, but I would try to get them to supply a new one first. Does a good "smack" on the bottom of the mag make it catch? If it does, keep smacking. Sometimes they "break in". Mine did. It actually got looser over time. I agree to try a new mag, if that's possible. I've got three, and each one fits just a little different from the others.

hey guys thanks for the feedback. I went to the gun shop and they tried a new mag. while that mag was harder to pull out by hand than my original it was still able to pull out. So i called umarex and they are sending me out a new mag release latch. the gun store gave me a new mag free of charge for my troubles. that was very nice of them. i also ordered the necessary parts from umarex to put the m4 collapsible stock on my m16. do yall know how hard it is to change out the buffer tube?

thanks again

kevin

Hey Kevin, Sounds like a good solution, and you got a free mag!  :thumb:  I have never disassembled one of the M16 stocks, so I cannot help you there. As Rodent suggests, look at the parts diagram in your owners manual. On the M-4 stock/tube, one removes the stock from the tube in the usual manor - pulling down on the locking lever and sliding the stock off, then remove the small screw from the rear/bottom of the tube - then remove the end cap - then remove the long screw from inside the tube that holds the tube to the lower. When you get yours apart, how about posting the procedure to remove the M16 stock??? Pics are always welcome.

TM