Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Trigger job

pawpaw

I didn't watch the video, but on mine I simply worked on the "notch" on the hammer itself. Using fine triangular stones (brown), I carefully cut down the width of the "shelf" of the catch to reduce, or eliminate the travel, or "creep" in the trigger. Then, using same stone, I reduced the ANGLE of the notch on the hammer. This reduces the "pull'. The way this trigger is made, the sear has to pull "uphill" in the notch in order to release. I did not modify any springs, as this is a sure fire way to create full-auto! Please note, these mods are done A LITTLE AT A TIME, then TESTED each time, to make sure it feels right. If you go too far, you're SCREWED! I have done this many times, on many guns with excellent results. My trigger went from over 9lbs to around 4.5. Unfortunately, if you've never done this before, I can't in good conscience, recommend you try it.

Thanks for posting the video link.................I am now trying to copy the entire series of C 4 dis assembly and trigger mod film clips to CDs.....This was the best I have ever seen and I want to keep it as a quick reference if I find the need to disassemble my rifles.

• 2 years later...

I tried the trigger job as a newbie to the colt m4 (but not to guns in general) and it went swimmingly. There is also a HK416 video which obviously is along the same lines. I polished, reduced angles and now it's 3.5lbs apparently according to the gauge.

BEWARE - polishing a trigger does not a good trigger make! this trigger will still be mostly awful compared to target rifles, but this reduces the pull and creep. beware of making it full auto. there is a fine line.

• 4 weeks later...

BEWARE - polishing a trigger does not a good trigger make! this trigger will still be mostly awful compared to target rifles, but this reduces the pull and creep. beware of making it full auto. there is a fine line.

Yes, that ^. All I did was to change out the two springs, and mine no longer functioned as designed. Since there is a lengthy 'penalty' for ownership of such a malfunction, I decided to let a professional handle the trigger job on my Colt.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Really old thread, been quiet around here.

So I took the M4 out a couple of weekends in a row and dang if that trigger isn't annoying.  Too hard to pull, it was throwing my aim off.  Went home and prowled the Web and found HKParts.com and they have the following for sale:

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=17340&idcategory=343

Ordered it and installed it today.  Brought my trigger pull down to 6lbs, much much better.  Haven't fired it yet, so we hope it does not go full auto!  But for 18 bucks this might be the ticket.