Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Need help for a newb

I just picked up my SW M&P 15-22, pretty excited about it!  I have a lot of questions, as this is my first tactical rifle and i am new to the rifle scene in general (i only own a shotgun and mosin negant).  First, what is this talk of MOE, what does that mean?  I didnt get that version of the gun, I am just wondering what the differences are. 

Second, what companies and where online is the best place to get upgrades for this rifle?  and where should i start?  I plan on using this for fun, target shooting with my friends and wife.  but i want my rifle to look bada$$!  :thumb:

I bought a magpul vertical grip, only because i got it greatly discounted.  I am thinking of upgrading to get a scope, maybe another forward handrest, maybe a flashlight with red dot, would like a barrel sleave or something, but i dont know what im looking for when it comes to going to online websites and seeing a bunch of stuff for ARs.  Am i safe to assume that if it's for an AR, it isnt for my m&p?  and i read the discussion on changing up the trigger, is that really something i should look in to? 

I did notice the conversation about making sure i clean it before i use it, thanks all for the good suggestion.  Has anyone recently ordered mags from ProMag, are they shipping?  I see i can add them to my cart and go through the process of purchasing them, just didnt know if anyone has recently done so and not received them. 

Thanks for any help/suggestions you guys can give.  Can't wait till the weather warms up to give my gun its first go! 

MOE = Magpul Original Equipment (magpul butstock, grip, flip up sights and rail covers). If you look on the S&W web site for the guns and look at the two MOE versions and then look at the tan one, everything that is TAN is Magpul, making that gun a MOE version.

Please people correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is most accessories that fit any other AR15 will fit the M&P 15-22 (externally), but I did just find out that a AR15 trigger will fit the M&P also.

As far as a barrel shroud just make sure you get the correct threads. There are some great manufactures who make them for the M&P

You will absolutely love this gun. And make sure you buy as much ammo as possible because you will not want to stop shooting it. This gun just eats and eats ammo.

The gun below is mine, this is the 2nd one I bought. The first I sold last winter and hated myself ever since. So I went and got one last month and its mine forever, if I can ever get it out of my sons hands at the range :).

post-1552-144124387738_thumb.jpg

Here is a link to the barrel shroud I bought:

http://www.kineti-tech.com/barrel-shrouds-2/

It's well made and replaces the flasher hider and sit a little under the handguard to give it that "SD" look. But it only work if you have the threaded barrel, (already has flash hider installed)

As said above, almost all external accessories for the AR15 will work with the 15-22. And I can attest it has a healthy appetite for ammo :)

Thanks for the suggestions.  I barrel shrouds are pretty cool, i'll have to pick one up, thanks for the link.

last week i returned my standard m&p 15-22 because my local gunshop got an MOE version in and it was only $10 more.  Well worth the extra ten dollars!  Once i deck my m&p out, ill post an image for all ya'll to look at. 

And any other ideas or thoughts are appreicated

There are lots of things to trick out you're 15-22. Check out the S&W15-22 section in the forums for a few easy and some not quite as easy ways to make it perform better. My fav easy one was to install a 1/4-28 set screw in the threaded hole for the grip to preload the trigger to shorten the trigger pull. You will need a shorter screw for the grip or ass a few washers to the original screw to make up for the space taken up by the set screw. Just gotta be carefull not to set it too tight and cause accidental discharge if you bump the gun. :P

This little cheap and easy mod made a notable difference.

Also if youre gonna use a scope I might suggest the NCstar P4 sniper 4X32 tactical scope. I have tried about 4 other scopes on my 15-22 and this one I like the best for fit and feel and wont break the bank.

Ive attached a pic of my baby.

Enjoy...

post-1157-144124387819_thumb.jpg