Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Reloading

asmurff

Well I sorted changed my process over time. In my final days of reloading I would tumble the brass then decap them at a single stage press.

Heres why:

First off I used a progressive press a lot. I felt that removing the primers ahead of time in a separate process let me feel everything else that was going on just a bit more. The bigger reason though was some primers left a little crud in the primer pocket. This crud would on occasion prevent a primer from seating correctly. It wasn't often but it was often enough to be annoying. I made a tool to clean the primer pockets

I didnt remove the primers before tumbling because the media got stock in the primer pocket.

Cleaning them also lets you inspect the brass for cracks and other defects. Those defects might not be noticed if the cases have a little fouling on them.

I don't know about using reamers to clean the primer pockets guys. If you happen to remove too much metal, the primers won't stay seated correctly. I use this to clean the primer pockets - note the different size brushes for large & small pockets. The same tips fit onto my motorized gizmo for large batches. The only time I use a reamer is on military brass - the primers on mil brass is crimped, and the primer pockets have to be swaged or reamed in order to accept a new primer.  RCBS has a nice step by step guide here, but they do not mention pocket primers.... go figure.

TM

I should clarify that the reamer was undersized a couple though with the edges all broken as to not be sharp. You are correct it would be easy to ruin the primer pockets for sure.  That RCBS tool looks better though

I wish I had pictures of the motorized case trimmer I made. Think servo motor and Thomson shafts. Friggin thing was about 4x bigger then the RCBS model.  >:D

Thanks techmike I am going to Sportsman's Warehouse today and was going to look and see if there were primer pocket brushes.

I figure with the reamer I'd down size a least one size and blunt the cutters, not that these old ones would cut melted butter. Beside it gives me an excuse to fiddle in the shop.

• 2 years later...

Very old thread.

I have primer pocket cleaners,  standard reloading item.  They look almost like interchangeable bits for a screwdriver handle.  They have a small blade on one end for 'small' primers and a slightly larger blade on the other for 'large' primers.  A quick twist of tool or case with fingers breaks primer residue loose and it falls/pops out.  This will not harm the primer pockets.  It also is a great opportunity to inspect the cases.  This is a standard item from Lee.

Another tool I have begun using,  more recently than the original date of this post,  is a primer pocket reamer from Lyman.  The tool looks like a screwdriver with a very short shank.  The tip is a reamer for primer pockets with military primer crimps.  There is a separate tool in each of the two primer sizes.  The tool cleans up the primer pocket,  if needed,  to exactly the right size.  This is in addition to using the Lee tool to remove primer residue.