Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

My Colt fired out-of-battery

techmike

I was at the range last Wednesday, firing my Colt after changing out the hand-guard to the new 15" Troy Alpha. Put a couple of hundred rounds through it with zero issues. While cleaning up, I noticed that a previous shooter had left some unfired rounds lying about. So instead of just chucking them in the dud bucket, I proceeded to load and fire them one at a time. Did 9 or 10 with no issues, then a weird noise, and smoke wafting out of the magazine and lower. No damage to the rifle or magazine, but that last round must have fired while the bolt was out-of-battery. I recovered part of the brass, it was actually still partially in the chamber and the bullet was about 2" down the pipe. Tapped the bullet out with a cleaning rod after I got home. The bottom 1/8" of the brass is missing. I don't like excitement. :o

My bolt is not fully seating every time.. and there is no gunk built up.. I get a ftf when this happens.

If you detail stripped the gun, as in removed the bolt and barrel, or just took the flash hider all the way off, the barrel may have moved to the rear which will cause the spring and/or pin for the bolt catch to come loose and might be sticking out catching on the bolt. That happened to me once or twice. I actually lost the spring & pin the first time I took mine apart.

My (early production) rifle did the same thing TWICE. Each time it was with Remington Golden Bullets. The second time it happened, I thought the bullet cleared the barrel, but it hadn't. The next round hit the bullet halfway down the barrel, and ruined the barrel. I began to realize the Remingtons were sticking in the chamber due to the slightly larger bullet diameter. This is particularly serious in the Colt, as the inner barrel swelled and seized in the outer barrel. VERY difficult to disassemble!! When I called Umarex to get a new barrel, I was informed the newer barrels had a larger chamber diameter, hence the "finickiness" of the early Colts. With my new $110 barrel, my rifle will shoot anything that it wouldn't shoot before, but no more "Golden Bullets" for me! If you own one of the earlier-production Colt's, and it's REALLY particular as to what it will shoot, I highly recommend one of the new barrels, or a chamber reamer. The "European" barrel does have issues with some ammo!

Mine is an early production, I bought it back in... 2009, maybe early 2010. I just took a look at the barrel and it doesnr appear to be set back.. ive got the suppressor nut firmly tightened and the bolt only does not gonfully into battery on occasion. It seems like this weapon has been problem after problem.. (were the early ones know to be so problematic?) Should I look into the newer barrel, or has there been any changes made to the upper or the bolt simce mine was produced?  As the above poster stated.. this thing will eat more rem green/golds than it would fire.. and the cci sr greens were better.. but not omg write home about. Im trrrrying to locate some minimags or federal bulk to try..

Mine was also from 2009, and it has been issue free except I had the recoil spring set too tight (initially) and ruined the spring. Once the rifle was broken in, and I tried several flavors of ammo it has been a great shooter. I stay away from Thunderbolts, Golden Bullets, ect. Those are for my bolt action rifles. I have a lot of different 22 ammo, and after testing I just shoot what worked the best.

As with all 22 semi autos, cleanliness = better performance. The primer material in all 22 ammo contains ground glass, and that is what gives a 22 action that gritty feeling after just a few rounds fired. They do not need much oil, over-lubrication can cause problems, as the extra lube acts like a dirt magnet and sucks in grime from the nearest 3 zip codes. Once that stuff has a chance to dry out, it petrifies into a material that is just shy of a diamond on the hardness scale. W.Wheel has posted that he uses automotive brake cleaner on these rifles, and I have found that to be an excellent power cleaner for 22lr gunk. (Good advice WW!) And it is cheaper than "gun cleaner" sprays. As with all such chemicals, take care with plastics, painted materials and of course optics.

TM

I've been using rem oil and rem shotgun cleaner.. guy at the gun shop swore against it and wanted to sell me some other stuff (the oil was a droplet form rather than an aerosol.) Whixh do you recommend? I have definitely noticed the over oiling effect. And you're not lying about the 3 county draw!

-1 on the Rem oil, not fond of it my own self.

I have to admit, I am fond of Hoppes #9. (old school gun stuff) It's an ok cleaner and I like the smell.  ;D

Break Free CLP is also good stuff and is a cleaner & lubricant. I also use Brian Enos's Far Superior Slide Glide. It is a grease that pretty much stays put. I know there are many new hi-tech lubes out there, perhaps some of the other guys will chime in.