Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

reloading questions

ecan95242

so i just decided im gonna start reloading because im getting sick of the prices for my .45. are there any kits or pieces i should stay away from? what about reloading steel cases vs brass? are there better primers and powders than others? and where do most of you get your supplies? thanks in advance :beer:

When I started reloading last year I was told to start with the book "The ABC's of Reloading" Borders, Barnes & Noble and Amazon all carry it.

I can only comment on one brand as it is the only one I've used. I have a Lee Pro 1000 which can be ordered pre-setup for an individual caliber. It cost less than $300. With additional dies it will reload all pistol loads and .223, it will not reload rifle ammo. It is an effective reloader, but can be frustating in set up and use because the documentation leaves lots of room for improvement. The extras like the automatic bullet feeder and case feeder are in my opinion problematic and I took mine off and perform those operations by hand.

Other companys you'll want to research before you decide are Dillion, RCBS, Hornady.

I'm sure some of the guys who know more about these things than I will jump in here with more info.

Here's my take on reloading.

Its been a while so Im shaking cobwebs out of my head for this reply

Ill throw a few more books at you. Lyman makes a fantastic book on reloading from the ground up.  There also books that contain the loading data for individual calibers such as the .45acp. Then hit Amazon.com Hornady manuals. The powder manufacturers often have data available.

Winchester 231 powder, federal primers were what I used for 45. I prefer Redding dies and powder measures. Hornady for a progressive. The Dillon's are nice but they suck you in with all the add ons. So much so it would be cheaper to stick with factory ammo. I like Dillon dies 2nd

I would suggest starting with a single stage Redding or Lyman press and go slow and methodically until you have a complete understanding of the process. Its really easy to make a lot of bad ammo on a progressive. Malfunctions can also hurt you.

Later on if you stick with it you can upgrade to a progressive and use the single stage for utility work and load development.

Lyman Tumbler, RCBS trimmer and assorted tools

Sources: Naturally Ill plug Sinclair because they help keep the lights on here. Beyond that you really need to shop around.

I used to use these guys a lot http://www.grafs.com/ 

Midway will have everything but not usually be the cheapest.

Heres a few more

http://www.natchezss.com/

http://www.reloadersauction.com

I dont know anything about steel cased ammo

I have two set-ups, a RCBS single stage that I use for rifle rounds, and a LEE turret press I use for pistol rounds. RCBS is a much better quality press than LEE. http://www.rcbs.com/guide/stepbystep.aspx Go there to get some nice step by step reloading guides. But do a lot of reading before you buy!

PS - as far as I know - steel and aluminum is not reloadable.

TM

Hey Asmurff, I have the LEE 4 hole turret press. It's OK - I bought extra turrets, so I just leave the dies in the turrets and they stay set-up. They store real nicely in the extra large size Jiffy peanut butter containers. The only thing I move from turret to turret is the powder measure. Saves a lot of set-up time. The turret press is in between a single stage press and a progressive press. After I get going, every 4 pulls gets me a fully loaded cartridge.

TM

Mine is a 3 holer  ;D I have the plates for both 9mm & .45acp only takes a couple of minutes to switch out those the shell carrier and change the disc in the auto loader. Most of my problems comes with the @#&* primer feeder and seater.

What kind of problems? There are two different sizes of primer feeder and seating parts. I ordered both with my press.

TM

so i just decided im gonna start reloading because im getting sick of the prices for my .45. are there any kits or pieces i should stay away from? what about reloading steel cases vs brass? are there better primers and powders than others? and where do most of you get your supplies? thanks in advance :beer:

Ecan,

I get my supplies from all over - whoever has the best price for what I need gets my business. And there is no easy, cut & dried answer to your question. There are a great many variables to reloading. So, pick a caliber, .45ACP: Next buy and read a current reloading manual. Then select bullet weight, style, (FMJ, HP, WC, JHP, LRN) ect, bullet maker, primer size & maker, powder.  If you check with the NRA (website) you can find a Certified NRA reloading instructor in your area - well worth the cost. Then, you work up your load. You take the components you purchased, and load to the minimum powder load. Test fire them. Make some more rounds with a little more powder. Test fire. Keep records! At some point, you will find an optimum combination of powder, components and your gun that will provide exceptional accuracy. Do not exceed max powder loads! ( I don't even come close to max) Many of the reloading manuals will indicate an optimum load for listed powders/ bullets. There is a lot of reloading info on the web - DON"T trust it!!!! Jo-Bob's favorite 30-06 load may just blow up your gun! Stick to published reloading manuals. And purchase quality reloading equipment. For a beginner, I would recommend a single stage RCBS press.

Good luck! And be safe!

Mike