Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

First Review - M&P 15-22

steel609

My first post here, and the first review!

Background - I have had a Ciener 22 conversion kit for my Charles Daly M4LE for almost a year now, and it does work very well. However, I was getting tired of at the end of each session, having to swap back to the standard bolt and dumping a mag of 223 through it to "clear the gas tube". I don't know if this was really needed, but I was told that a long time ago and decided it was better to be safe than sorry. So  much for cost savings.  ::)

Search - I checked out the "Colt" rifles, and while very nice in appearance, prices were close to $600. I handled one many times, but in the end, I wasn't going to pay that much. Then I walked into my new favorite dealers shop and he has this wicked S&W 15-22. I had seen only one other in another local shop, but it didn't last but a day there and sold for $469+tax. Once I handled it, I was very impressed. This rifle just feels "mean" (funny for a 22, I know), but I like it.

I had to have it. He also had a NIB Springfield Loaded Stainless 1911, so it was deal time. I get the S&W for $409+tax. Needless to say, I was ver yhappy.

I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet, so there will be a part 2 sometime soon.

steel609 thanks for joining and posting.

feel free to add images

drew

Thanks for the welcome. I had my camera out shooting some shots of other guns, and didn't even think of getting a few of my new rifle. Maybe this weekend I'll shoot some and post them here.

Same thing for me, dropped by Academy at lunch yesterday and they had both the Colt ($579) and the SW MP15-22 ($449), so I snagged it up.

I txt'd my buddy back at the office and told him I got the next-to-last one they had and he went down a half-hour later and got the last one.

;D

I have GSG, 2 Colts and S&W.

They all have there good points, some are fussy (Colts), but the S&W is true to AR in break down and cleaning. I feel the Colts may have a slight accuracy advantage but I hate not being able to take bolt out ( hope someone posts a breakdown sequence some day).

I would say the S&W is best deal out there now. I am waiting for Sig 522 LR to compare to others.

Tim O

• 3 weeks later...

I have GSG, 2 Colts and S&W.

They all have there good points, some are fussy (Colts), but the S&W is true to AR in break down and cleaning. I feel the Colts may have a slight accuracy advantage but I hate not being able to take bolt out ( hope someone posts a breakdown sequence some day).

I would say the S&W is best deal out there now. I am waiting for Sig 522 LR to compare to others.

Tim O

Curious if you still think the Colts are more accurate than the S&W M&P 15-22 now that you have had more time with the S&W.