Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Where is everyone today?

imschur

I spent the weekend setting up and making the adjustments on my progressive reloader from Lee. It was a pain in the butt and I'm a bit frustrated with Lee over their poorly compiled directions. I finally produced a few rounds to test fire but I'm not sure how reliable this thing is, it is a Pro 1000.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hear that buddy. Honestly if your not sure of the quality of the loads dont even put them through your gun.

We just had this conversation over at FNF. I always suggest if someone is new to reloading start with a good single stage until you learn the nuances of the process. Reloading should be a fun and rewarding extension of your shooting experience. Not a lesson in frustration. If I can help just pm me.

Its too late now but for a progressive press I would recomend a Hornady or Dillon. I have no experience with the current RCBS presses and have no opinion.  For dies Redding and Dillon followed by RCBS and Hornady.

My last setup was a Hornady progressive that I mostly used for handgun. I used the Redding single stage for my 22-250 and most .223.

Powder measures, while most operate and look similarly they are not equal the Reddings are the best. I found the Hornady and RCBS to be about equal.

What caliber are you loading?

Sorry I should have been clearer. The rounds I produced I have no qualms about, it is the press I'm wondering if it will hold up. Plus a lot of it was I was just venting :-[ Also I reloaded many many years ago with an old Lee Hand Press and had no problems. I'm sure I'll get this one squared away.

Having written technical manuals in the Air Force I always strived to make them "Airman Proof" there was no attempt here to do so. It was bought as a complete set, uyet each component came with it's own direction, but nothing that said start here and do things in this order for the whole thing. With any computer they should have been able to do that easily cause they already have all the info, with some cut and pasting they could have easily made a very good booklet to got with the kit.

Hopefully once it is broke in the quirks will go away,

I'm reloading 9mm right now, and already have all the required items to do .45acp. I think my son is or has ordered the parts for .38 Special also. That covers all the pistol calibers between the 2 of us except for my .380 but I don't shoot it enough to make purchasing the dies worthwhile. A shotgun press will be next.