Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Savage - Generations

Mr. Jones

I figured since I had tacked up the backdrop and had the camera out I would dust off my other .22s

They are a Savage Model 5 (circa 1930's / no serial numbers) and her descendant, a Savage Model 62 (circa 2000).

The Model 5 was bought by my grandfather right after my father born in 37 (my parents had me in their 40's  :o);  although It was bought used, so it is likely older than that. It ended up being my dad's first rifle that he drug around "pre-freakout California" as a boy.  It was my first rifle as well, and I took decidedly better care of it.  I've had her for 25 years, since I was 6; we can kill small game in our sleep.  I moved on to bigger guns, but when the job was varmit acquisition or accuracy showmanship (showing off, lol) I got out the Model 5.  Aside from cleaning and polishing the feed ramp, there has yet to be one failed or seriously worn component, and I've fired many, many thousands of rounds during my own ownership.  Technically, it belongs to my daughter since May 2009.

The Model 62 was purchased in 2000 because I was storing all my firearms in Missouri after some complicated moving/ housing changes, and I got pissed off about some opossum...  My ex wife never really knew me as the hunter or gun enthusiast when we met, and she thought I was playing around when I bought it and fitted it with the laser.  That night I killed an opossum that was getting in our vents, and four more in the following 2 years (living near a creek has it's ups and downs).  I always keep on mag full of shotshell for dispersal, and another full of hollow point; for disposal.  It's a fine rifle, but I only used it temporarily as a stand in for the Model 5.  The laser does give it a slight edge for night time duty. Technically, it belongs to my stepson as of Dec 2005

Fun side note, the "ex" was a city girl and made the mistake of coming out to watch once.  When I had to deliver a final shot, I told her to stand back but she only moved a foot or so.  Ended up with blood spray on herself, and for lack of a better term: freaked. the. fuck. out.  I just chuckled again, ten years later  ;D 

Alright, alright, on with the pictorial already!!

Opening the sarcophagus (ok, so I cleaned them yesterday, but they were stored for like 5 years before that)

PICT0051.JPG

Look, they're rubbing their butts together!  :laugh:

PICT0052.JPG

The wood is rough and worn, but I am reluctant to repair anything.  These are dings and dents my ancestors put in her, beyond taking basic care of the stock, I leave her be.

PICT0057.JPG

Just a nice shot of them together.. notice how similar they look after all this time, even the curves of the stock and foregrip.  When the bolt is removed from the M5, the curves on the rear of the receivers match. 

PICT0058.JPG

Looooong guns

PICT0062.JPG

lol, notice the elevation is set 2-3 clicks higher on the M5.  Not to ring my own bell, but it's not cause the barrel is droopy.  I can traditionally reach out well beyond 100yd with her, though my eyesight really has gotten worse over the years

PICT0063.JPG

Another (fuzzy) look at how similar the Savage has remained over the years.. makes me want a 10 round magazine on the Model 5  ;D

PICT0065.JPG

And the M62 takes the stage!  Laser is set to 25yd for that night time work I mentioned.  It's the distance my typical headlamp will reach.

PICT0066.JPG

And finally, some receivers.  The Model 62 weighs about 3 pounds, her older sister weighs in at 5.

Notice I have the shotshell mag installed.  I don't necessarily want to kill or injure the strays and loose dogs around the neighborhood, the sting of the shot and the noise is more than enough.

PICT0067.JPG