Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

The new S&W Bodyguard .38

Microgunner

Revolver came in Tuesday. Today is my first day back at work and first chance to examine it. I am impressed. Fit and finish is good. Laser is unobtrusive and easy to use, I like the on/off button much better than a pressure pad. The DAO trigger is remarkable, light, fast and reasonably smooth. Better than any revolver trigger out of the box I've seen in awhile, maybe ever. It fits the hand superbly and is very light in weight, an ounce and a half lighter than my Kahr PM-9. No internal lock. What looks like a lock on the left side frame is a screw of some sort. One odd thing, the trigger will still work when the cylinder is open without having to pull back on the cylinder release. Speaking of the cylinder release, I find the top mounted cylinder release  difficult to use. No matter, I won't be carry a reload. Photos to follow.

That new Big Brother tracking device. C:-) JK

Its a Nutech Barcode. Smith&Wesson is using them for inventory/tracking purposes. It allows them to see a bunch of information, like when the gun was manufacturered, and if you send it in for warrenty work, they can see any previous work done to the gun.

You can read more about it here...

http://www.nutechsystems.com/System%20i/Nutech%20Components/License%20Plating.html

I've been playing with the new BG38 for the past week and here are some further impressions & observations.

First, the top mounted cylinder release smoothed right out after 50 or so cycles. I'm finding this cylinder latch instinctual to use and doesn't require me to shift my grip to operate it.

Second, I oversold that trigger, it's good but weird. It starts off stiffer, then lightens up as you stroke through the full arc. So you have to apply significant pressure at first then the trigger lightens and speeds up. Making for a false sense of ease and making it near impossible to "stack" the trigger.

Third, Other than the familiar J frame shape almost nothing else is shared with it's traditional siblings. Such as: the cylinder rotates clockwise, the grips are one piece and held in place with a roll pin. There is no hand, instead, the cylinder is rotated by a star fitting. The barrel shroud in integral with the frame, there is no front cylinder latch detent (so this cylinder is a single lock). The trigger is obviously MIM.

But all in all this a very sexy little revolver and is fast becoming a fondling favorite.

Correction on the cylinder lock up observation. The BG38 cylinder does lock up in front as well. It achieves this with an angled shoulder on the thin center of the ejector rod closest to the cylinder. This shoulder fits into a corresponding seat in the ejector rod shroud.  It's very clever because the ejector rod doesn't rotate with the cylinder and will retract slightly against spring tension without activating the star ejector allowing this shoulder to pop into it's seat.

Picture014.jpg