Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Colt Umarex M4 .22LR Cleaning Instructions

imschur

I have found what may be a faster & easier way of getting a pretty thorough cleaning. first, remove the suppressor, then tap-out the receiver pins. Then, after separating the upper from the lower receiver, using the charging handle, pull the bolt/ barrel assembly out. Holding the muzzle-end up, and the bolt locked open, spray automotive carburetor cleaner (using the high-pressure tube on the can) into, and all around the bolt, firing pin, ejector, extractor, and mainspring. Leaving the muzzle UP, set the assembly aside and let it dry thoroughly. When dry, lubricate bolt, firing pin, spring, etc. (sparingly). Reassemble rifle, swab the chamber & barrel with powder solvent, and you're good to go! Carb cleaner is usually strong enough to cut away all the gunk without scrubbing, and dries without leaving a residue. If you can still smell it, it ain't DRY! Oh, by the way, DO THIS OUTSIDE!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These are great pictures, very detailed, which made the instructions very useful.  It would have been nice if Colt would have done something similar.  I have undoubtedly lost that spring and pin accidentally.  I was wondering if you know of anything I can use as a replacement?  I noticed in your presentation that you said you have lost this several times.

• 3 weeks later...

Big props to Techmike for posting this. Not sure I'll attempt it (I won't go into a time when I wasn't thinking and let a spring loaded part fly across my garage never to be found), but good to know and have the knowledge. Also thanks to imschur for posting TM's great ppt file.  :thumb:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Yeah, I think everyone breaks those. You can order a few from Umarex. I took my flash hider, and made the o-ring slot a bit bigger/deeper, (I have a lathe) and then used a larger o-ring. Have never had another issue there. The o-ring is important for accuracy. As you have noticed by now, the actual barrel is tensioned by tightening the flash hider. The o-ring centers the barrel and is needed for accuracy. I also put small registration marks on the flash hider and barrel shroud so that I get it to the same tension every time.

TM

• 3 months later...