Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

issues when firing suppressed

I've had my Colt m4 for about a year now and it run great, no issues. I do a deep clean per this forum every 1k rounds. Recently I got a suppressor and getting all kinds of jams. I can't get through 3 shots without a problem. Mainly the bolt doesn't seem to close back into battery after firing and when it does, I get light primer strikes. I've tried adjusting the spring tension all the way in, out, and in between and no effect. I realize the can is creating more gas pressure on the battery but not sure how to fix. I'd really like to shoot suppressed with this gun, anyone else having this problem? ideas on how to fix?

1c10c0cf.jpg

many thanks

Your gonna have to try different ammo. I've had the same problem, some ammo just won't cycle at all. Each gun is kinda picky as far as what will cycle and what won't when suppressed. The only subsonics I found that will function in my mosquito are the Win super X rounds.

I'd recommend trying the Winchester super x subsonic rounds as a start, since they tend to cycle ok in most of the suppressed guns I've tried them in.

Other than that, you will just have to experiment with different loads, and adjustments till you find one that works.

Update, a buddy let me shoot some of his RWS subsonics and at first the ejected casings were getting caught shut in the bolt, so I loosened the spring nut to be flush with the receiver. Cycle improved but we still got a casing caught in the bolt about every 5 rounds. Loosed the nut as far back as it would go without blocking upper from closing on the lower and fired a magful without issues.

So while the Rem subsonic was too powerful, this RWS seems to be on the opposite end. I'll try some winchester next and see if it's in the middle.