Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

522 Conversion Question

cazio

I just picked up a GSG-522 but have been researching them for sometime and I had some questions. What is the big advantage of converting back to the gsg-5 configuration? I understand our needs to customize but is the old config better than the new one or is it just a way to snub HK? I was thinking of doing it just because I like the original front sight and cock handle.

Cazio

• 2 weeks later...

The GSG-522 is essentially the GSG-5 with cosmetic changes, however they are not merely benign and do require "correction".

First, the rear sight has open top slots rather than round apertures...makes establishing vertical alignment impossible and eliminates the benefits of an aperture sight.  Since both the -5 and -522 have non-adjustable rear drums replacement with an original like the one from rrages ($29) is mandated.  Second, the -522 front sight has twin vertical wings which reside close to the center and make it more than easy to pick up one the wings when looking through the rear sight--under less than ideal lighting conditions.  Again this is where and why the original front ring enclosure is superior because it spans a diameter larger than the width of the -522 wings making it highly unlikely to be picked up as the center post, but of course is also round which would instantly alert the user....however, with the front ring and rear aperture one simply cannot catch a misaligned sight picture.

The top rail on the -522 is plastic and held on by two tiny screws driven into a plastic top insert.  On the -5 this top insert is metal and intended to use the much stronger and reliable clamp mount systems.  The -522 rail seems nifty until one mounts a sight or optic of any weight at which point the security of said sight/optic is at the mercy of two TINY screws...did I say tiny?  I meant TINY!

The selector lever on the -522 seems adequate at first...though not well situated for easy reach.  The -5 selector is twice as wide and provides and easy purchase for the thumb or index finger depending on preference.  Again, it may not seem to matter if one has never handled the original, but once one has, the preference will be self-evident.

The cocking handle is actually cosmetic, however the shorter crescent shape of the -5 is authentic.

www.hotgunparts.com carries the -522 to -5 conversion kit which includes everything but the rear sight drum.  www. rrages.com carries the rear sight drum - original HK units, one $29, one $69 - your choice, but both are all-steel units with vertical adjustment as per the original design.

One thing I discovered with the conversion is the replacement -5 cocking handle shroud is the finish is black paint whereas the one on the -522 appears grey parkerized and matches the rest of the receiver.  However, the front ring is simply too much worth having to discard it for mismatched finish.

Kilibreaux thanks for that info, I was thinking the same when I posted the question. I have always wanted an MP-5 but anyways once I got my 522 I knew I would have to convert it back to the 5 if only for the front sight which to me is critical. I have my kit already but have been to busy to do the work, I will probably take the top rail off as it really doesn't appeal to me. Thanks again for your post.

Cazio