Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

COLT/ UMAREX FACTORY UPGRADES!!

wobblinwheel

I just read on another forum that a guy got a NEW Umarex .22lr M4 (or M16, didn't catch which one), and it had SEVERAL new factory upgrades:

1. OPERATING dust cover!

2. 90 degree safety arc (instead of 180)

3. attached fake bolt release (won't fall out)

4. attached bolt buffer (also won't fall out)

I wonder how many of these new upgrades will RETROFIT to the older rifles? I really like the 90 degree

safety lever, and the working dust cover!

Who will be the first to contact Umarex Customer Service to find out??

wonder if these parts are availlable, or will they tell us to "buy a new rifle"?!!

I think Im  "the guy" on the other net. My m16/22 is in the mid 6,000 ser# bolck, and yes there has been changes made, up grades per emails with Umarex ,were made to reply to what customers requests. They did hear you! Yes the dust cover works bolt open or closed, 90 deg. saftey  travel, bolt latch and buffer is held inplace and will not fall out while cleaning. Can these changes be retro fit, some maybe (buffer and bolt latch) dust cover and saftey not very likely, the lower has been stamped for safe/fire at right angles. The upper has a small cut that stops the dust cover from staying latched  and a spot on the bolt for the cover latch to be when the bolt is closed. If you want this may be called GEN.II or III. and they fixed it in short ord.

Thanks

What is the site... would like to see if other info is there.

the upgrades... u sent rifle back?

Only thing 'i' have seen on upgrade was a charging handle with a latch.  it took some 'talking' but they did send me one.

mine had a detent ball/spring and would move when firing.

The firarm bolg, poke around and you will find Colt/Umarex 22 section. The upgrades are on the new rifles, I made a typo mine is in th mind 60,000 serial number block. I do not think many of the changes can be retrofited becouse some of  the changes are on the lower outer frame body.  The saftey markings are cast/stamped into the frame, changing the saftey lever to a 90 degree lever would cause it not to line up on the safe/fire marks. The dust cover latch area on the upper is NOT ground out, so the cover will stay latched, you would have to change the upper frame body to make it work right.

Hi All, Perhaps I am being slow this January, but I don't really understand the buzz here. Umarex is not going to "upgrade" your rifle for cosmetic issues, such as the bolt latch. If it bothers you, a small dab of clear silicone seal on the back side of the latch will stop it from "falling out". RE the buffer - I squeezed the pin slightly in a vice and it stays in just fine. 180 degree safety - without redesigning the trigger pack, I think we will have to live with that one. It's not a big deal for me.

Only thing 'i' have seen on upgrade was a charging handle with a latch.  it took some 'talking' but they did send me one. mine had a detent ball/spring and would move when firing.

I have not seen or heard of this one - all of the parts lists I have seen show a charging handle/latch. What model rifle do you have?

TM

Techmike you are right, the changes are'nt that big a deal. All I wanted to do is let everyone know that Umarex has addressed the changes people would like to have and did so. Some were small production changes but changing casting dies for the saftey markings took time and money and they did it in short amount of time.

Funny thing....I emailed Anna Dalton @ Umarex, and she responded that she new of NO UPGRADES on current models! I specifically mentioned the working dust cover, the 90 deg. safety, AND the possibility of a stronger bolt spring (as has been mentioned before). She also stated that any "possible upgrades" would probably not occur until sometime next year. And she said if there WERE any such upgrades, they would definitely NOT work on any current models! I'm sure, if any of you are familiar with the safety mechanism, to make it 90 deg would only require relocating the notches and detent holes on the cam. Could be retrofit, don't care about the "stamping" on the receiver housing. If I could figure out how to post the email, I would. Apparently the new improvements are a "SECRET"!?

Mine was the M4,  apparently an early one BPO18252...

my charging handle did not have a latch, but a ball detent on the bottom that created friction in the 'in' position.

Bother me......  durn tooin when it slides out the back of the receiver near the end of a magazine near my eyes !!!!

It WAS upgraded after I contacted Anna....(though it did take a couple of emails)... and a phone call after shipment did not show

i purchased rifle August 09

I also received a mag catch... but also found the 20 round magazines seem to fit up better to the catches than the 30 round magazines.... 

wobblinwheel, thses  arent "upgrades" there model changes on new M16/22 that was bought in  12/10. If these changes are on the M4 I can't say.  That is why you MIGHT call them GEN II or III. The charge handle has a latch, was that an upgrade or just production change?  The main point is Umarex are making changes that people have asked for. Having worked on forklifts for way to many years I have seen "in model changes" that as the owner would'nt know and arent called upgrades just changes and if the warranty was over you would get new changed part, pay for it and not know the old one had a known problem. ALL car and any equipment Co.s do this (GM was worst about this) and yes forklifts use GM engines.  The rule of thumb is NEVER EVER EVER buy the first year on anything unless you must have it ?

imschur, Let me see what I can do,  ( if I can figure how to post pictures, yuk yuk)  The saftey no problem, the charge handle ok, dust cover IIIIII might be able to. Off topic I have a MECHTECH carbine conversion for 1911 .45. I bought a first year unit and had problems BUT Mech Tech replaced  the problem parts with  improved bolt parts and a new barrel at NO charege 4 years after there 1 year warranty.  Do'nt ask what I had to do to make it Kalifornia legal but I did. (make you .45 with a fixed Mag. or bullet button) See my avatar.

Ok here is the saftey, the upper frame  DOES NOT have a small cut out were the dust cover latch snaps into place so the cover stays latched untill you release the bolt. The buffer is just  drilled all the way thru and threaded. the fire control group (trigger body) is also threaded and a long headless allen screw screws thru both parts. That is what keeps it from falling out. As to the "fake bolt release" how it is held in place I am not sure, maybe Locktight (blue or red). Now that I have made things clear as mud?

post-398-144124368852_thumb.jpg

post-398-144124368854_thumb.jpg

post-398-144124368857_thumb.jpg

post-398-14412436886_thumb.jpg

Old fat man having fun. First time out and fired over 500 rounds, ten boxes of 50, of different types to see what would run and what would'nt. American Eagle HV, Federal bulk  pack 525 HV,  Federal bulk pack 550 HV, Peters HV (had these a looong time)  Federal Automatch SV, Remington Target SV, Remington Vipers HV, Remington Copper heads HV, Wolf Match Target SV, CCI stingers HV. ALL of them ran with  NO problems at all. NO fail to feed, fail to fire or fail to eject. There was no change in the bolt recoil spring, fulsh with the end of bolt body. All I did was take it out of the box clean and lube it and fire. Now that I have a scope on it I'll try and find out if it can make small holes in the target. Has Umarex fixed the problems with early models we  shall see.

post-398-144124368862_thumb.jpg

Mine was the M4,  apparently an early one BPO18252...

my charging handle did not have a latch, but a ball detent on the bottom that created friction in the 'in' position.

Bother me......  durn tooin when it slides out the back of the receiver near the end of a magazine near my eyes !!!!

i purchased rifle August 09

This is weird, mine is also a M4, bought it in the summer of 09, serial # BP025XXX and it came with a latching charging handle. Can you post the parts list that came with your rifle? I would be interested in seeing it!

Thanks,

TM

Can you post the parts list that came with your rifle? I would be interested in seeing it
!

lets see if this works...

bottom view of handle...  no machining for a latch, but the ball plunger is prominent.

picture.php?albumid=372&pictureid=2160

note the parts numbered 33 on the handle.... that is the ball plunger that creates friction.

picture.php?albumid=372&pictureid=2158

A latch is not visible here either

picture.php?albumid=372&pictureid=2159

This is weird, mine is also a M4, bought it in the summer of 09, serial # BP025XXX and it came with a latching charging handle. Can you post the parts list that came with your rifle? I would be interested in seeing it!

Thanks,

TM

Tm I bought mine about the same time you did, thru Davidson's and my serial number is BP024XXX. Mine had a latch also.